Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Freezes After Startup

• Please log in to reply

q_lil_grl

q_lil_grl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Alright I think I have good news. We might have narrowed down the cause!

So I followed your instructions (from your last post) and here are the results:

Restart router when in Safe Mode with Networking:
-did not freeze after I plugged off the router, and did not freeze when I plugged it back on, Internet works

Disable network related programs and services (& all others are enabled), then restart router in Normal Mode:
-did not freeze both ways (after plug off, after plug on), Internet didn't work (of course)
-router & modem lights do not look different

The services I disabled are:

Network Access Protection Agent
Net Driver HPZ12
Netlogon
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service

All are from Microsoft Corporation, the last 4 currently has the status 'Running' and the first 3 says 'Stopped'. (I'm currently running Normal Mode.)

Enable network related programs and services (& all others are enabled), then restart router in Normal Mode:
-froze both ways (after plug off and after plug on)
-when the laptop froze (got a black screen after trying to bring up Task Manager) after I plugged off the router and modem, I kept those plugged off and manually restarted and Windows did a Disk Check. It said: "One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency." I didn't know if I could find a log of the results after it finished, so I took pictures!

Here they are:
Posted Image
Posted Image

-I then successfully restarted in Safe Mode with Networking, and then I restarted in Normal Mode. The laptop got stuck on the screen after I entered my password. I manually restarted and it started up successfully (which is how I can type this).

Should I just start in Safe Mode with Networking from now on? I've never gotten these black screens and Disk Checks and being stuck on the welcome screen before. Looks like my laptop is taking a turn for the worse.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
So after running the desk check, what is the current state of the laptop?
1) Are your network services back on?
2) Is anything freezing at random?
3) Does it freeze after you reboot your modem?

q_lil_grl

q_lil_grl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
By network services.. do you mean by the internet connection? Last night I turned on my laptop and Internet was disconnected again, had the symbol with the 2 computers unlit and a yellow triangle with an ! in the middle, on the bottom right menu bar. So I shut down my laptop, restarted the router and then turned on the laptop and got Internet connection. Today, my laptop started up fine and I used the Internet for a few minutes before the Internet connection was lost. Windows Diagnostic said something like: 'Your modem is unavailable." and I've never gotten that diagnostic before. So I followed the instructions... unplugged the modem for 10 seconds and then back on, and my laptop didn't freeze and Internet worked. :)

Nothing seems to be freezing at random anymore. But then again, I've only used the laptop twice after the Disk Check.

q_lil_grl

q_lil_grl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi! An update... my laptop is fine again (^o^) haven't experienced any more freezing after startup, even after I restart the modem and router. I reinstalled AIM and FF a couple days ago and they're both working great. My Internet connection still have problems here though.. but I really think it's just because Comcast sucks. My laptop doesn't have a problem connecting to the Internet with other providers like AT&T, but with Comcast, I have to reset the router and modem everyday. Do you think having to reset the router and modem everyday corrupted some of my files (whatever the Disk Check fixed)?!

Thank you so much for your time and help; you probably saved me $300 if I had to bring it to Sony to fix.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

Hi! An update... my laptop is fine again (^o^) haven't experienced any more freezing after startup, even after I restart the modem and router.

:)

My laptop doesn't have a problem connecting to the Internet with other providers like AT&T, but with Comcast, I have to reset the router and modem everyday. Do you think having to reset the router and modem everyday corrupted some of my files (whatever the Disk Check fixed)?!

I think that although resetting the modem crashed the computer, resetting the modem wasn't the initial cause of the corruption. Imagine that your hard drive is like a library, with one college student running around pulling books off shelves, using them, and doing his best to put them back in the right spot. At some point, one of your network books didn't get put back in the right spot, and when you reset your modem, your college student went running for the network book to know how to reconnect, couldn't find it, and froze up. The disk check puts everything back where it should be (I guess technically it just updates the dewey decimal system so everything is labeled and locateable).

With that said, hopefully it won't give you any more problems! If it does give you more problems in the far out future, be sure to either start a new thread or PM me when you reply to this one - after a certain amount of time, I stop receiving update notifications on threads.

Good luck! :yes: :)