Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem! McAfee Total Protection prevented from running scan or r

• Please log in to reply

Uralmosti

Uralmosti

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I run a generic PC built up around AMD processor (good machine built by my local computer store) running windows XP. Returning from a weeks break away I find a problem has appeared. I've had a similar before, where certain services were prevented from starting on boot-up. Instructions I'd received back then showed me how to bring up the services and manually start, or re-start them - this (back then) fixed the problem and I could carry on. However, this time, it would seem, no matter what I attempt to do, the 'thing' has got my PC and wont lit it go! My McAfee Total Protection is prevented from doing its job, running its real-time scanning, or allowing me to make elective scans (at will)!? Also, it wont allow browsers to load up. I use IE, Firefox, Chrome & Safari. Windows Security Center keeps reporting I dont have Virus protection installed (or running) - McAfee Total Protection reports my PC is 'at-risk' (the Real-Time-Scanning having been disabled!). I click the appropriate buttons to restart the McAfee Anti-Virus Real-Time-Scanning and, for a while, it remains 'ON'. Security Centre shows Virus Protection as 'ON' also. Then, as I click to bring on a browser, the system take on the pace of a snail and becomes all 'Non-responsive'. When it allows I can check certain functions, and check things out with the Task-Manager, but I've tried a number of things and feel now at a bit of a loss to know where to go next. Geeks to Go has helped me before, so I figured if I asked nicely, some well informed Geek out there would pick me up and dust me off! I am typing this up on my Toshiba laptop - it uses the same McAfee Total Protection and licence for Virus and other protections.
I look forward to a suitable reply, Many Thanks,...

Advertisements