Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolving Blinking Cursor Problem w/Linux files

• Please log in to reply

paulnwa

paulnwa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, here is another of the blinking cursor posts! After unsuccessfully trying all of the Repair Console DOS fixes suggested on this forum to no avail. BTW, chkdsk did find a couple of errors and fixed them. I finally downloaded the Puppy Linux method suggested by happyrock way back in 2007.

I no nothing about Linux, so let's go from there. I was able to successfully boot my sick computer using Linux and am able to see my entire HDD and the files in it.

Okay, now what do I do? I assume that I need to copy all of the files and folders to another drive. I do have an external USB HDD that I could use for that. It doesn't look like the Linux system is drag and drop like Windows (or is it?), so how do I copy the files from my old HDD to the external drive? A step by step tutorial of the steps required would sure be a blessing.

And after I get them copied to the external drive, should I reinstall Windows XP from my disk? And then attach the external drive and copy the files back?

This is probably a dumb, question, but the answer isn't clear to me. Can someone please help me get on the right track? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

The answer is here on this thread
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

After you have recovered your data, rather than reinstalling, in which case you will lose all your programs for which you do not have the reinstallation media and of course all your personal data, try this before you try the format and reinstall

REPAIR install of XP
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 October 2011 - 12:59 PM.

paulnwa

paulnwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much for your reply. I have been out of town and unable to get back to this problem.

Thanks to the good instructions in your first link, I was able to move all of my data files from the old computer drive to an external drive using the Linux puppy method.

I made a clean install of Win XP from my original disk and the computer boots up fine. Now the problem.

I can see all of the old files on my external drive. When I try to drag and drop them onto the internal drive, it won't load the Documents and Settings file. Do I need to rename the old file before reinstalling on the internal drive?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

paulnwa

paulnwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Just tried dragging and dropping all of the external drive files onto the C drive. Copied fine until I got the error message that says "Can't copy NTUser file. It is being used by another person or program." Nothing is open on the desktop.

Where do I go from here??

Thanks,

Paul

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So I presume you did not try this

After you have recovered your data, rather than reinstalling, in which case you will lose all your programs for which you do not have the reinstallation media and of course all your personal data, try this before you try the format and reinstall

REPAIR install of XP
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

paulnwa

paulnwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I did try the Repair option, but as I recall it didn't work. So I reinstalled Win XP from the original disk.
I do have all of the data files from the drive on another disk. When I hook it up to the clean installed disk, it does show up with all of the files. Do I need to rename any files? How do I load the old data files onto the reformatted disk?

Thanks,

Paul

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

When I try to drag and drop them onto the internal drive, it won't load the Documents and Settings file

Documents and settings is not a file it is a folder.

Go to C Drive on the NEW installation and you will see what I mean - folders are yellow icons.

If you open your Documents and Settings FOLDER you will then see other folders.

If you open the one for YOU on the new installation, you will then see other folders for instance My Documents, if you open that you will then see My Pictures, My Documents, My Music etc.

If you now click the Tools tab on the menu bar, click folder options and then click View.
Now scroll down to the entry "Hidden files and folders"
On that entry Do not show - will be checked.
Check Show Hidden files and folders.
Then scroll down to Hide Protected Operating system files and uncheck that.
Click Apply and OK.
Now look again at the Documents and Settings folder that you have open for you.
You will see that two instances of NTUser.dat and two of NTUser.Ini have appeared. One of each is a text doc. The NTUser.Ini that is NOT the text doc is configuration settings..

Do NOT try and copy these files from your external drive you will corrupt your present User profile on the new installation.

Now go to your external drive and open the folder Documents and settings on your external drive.
When you are then open to your actual files of images music etc that you wish copied to your NEW installation
Copy and paste
OR Edit Select all, but ensure you are selecting ONLY those you wish copied, if there are only a few you do not wish copied selelct those fiirst and then edit and Invert Selection.

Do not forget to return the view to Hide Protected Operating Files and Do not show system files and folders.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 October 2011 - 04:22 PM.

paulnwa

paulnwa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Macboatmaster for all of your help. I finally resolved my problem by getting rid of Win XP and going on to Win 7. I knew I was going to have to do it eventually, anyway. However, your advice worked equally well after the new install. I was able to drag the files from my old Desktop out onto my new Desktop successfully.

Part of the reason for the updated software was that my XP disk was SP1, which was too old to drive some of my hardware, so I couldn't even get connected to the internet to update anything.

But thanks to you and the others who made the step by step instructions available for the use of the Linux Puppy software, my computer problems were not nearly so serious -- just irritating and frustrating............... :-)

Thanks again for your help. It blows me away that I can sit here in Auburn, Wa, on the west coast of USA and have the benefit of your timely and wonderful technical help from the other side of the world!!

As far as I can see, this resolves this issue to a satisfactory closure. Thanks also to those who make this forum available.

Gratefully,

Paul, in Auburn, WA, USA

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you to YOU, for posting the conclusion.
It has been a pleasure to assist you.

You would be amazed, how many people, join GeekstoGo, post a problem and then do not see the matter through to a conclusion, or indeed never even reply to the first advice.

Good Luck.
NB. Windows 7 is excellent, but it is quite unforgiving at times regarding driver issues. May I advise you to be extrremely careful when updating drivers. Always go to the correct source, never to some automated driver update site.
AND for your peace of mind ensure you have a full image backup on an external drive, a regular backup of your personal data and that all important Repair disc
http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc