Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC turns on, no video

• Please log in to reply

bnehring

bnehring

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello all! I was turned to this forum by a friend. I did a search and found a lot of issues that were the same as mine but so far none of them have solved my problem. Any advice or help is very much appreciated...now on to my wonderful issue!

My father bought a new barebone pc from Tigerdirect and asked me to put it together. Long story short, everything is hooked up correctly from what the manual shows and what I have known in the past but still isn't working. The computer will turn on, fans kick on, hard drive sings a little, disk drive lights up / opens and closes, keyboard lights up but I get nothing on the monitor. I have tried with it hooked up to the integrated video as well as the card that came with the barebone kit and still get nothing. I have taken everything apart and put it back together 5 different times now and still get the same thing every time. The CPU is in the correct position, fan is working and paste is applied. The specs on this kit are listed below;

Mobo - Gigabyte M68MT-S2P GeForce 7025 DDR3 AM3 MB
CPU - AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition AM3 CPU
Fan - Zalman CNPS7000V(AL)-1-PWM CPU Cooler INTEL/AMD
DVD - Lite ON 24X DVDRW SATA OEM
RAM - ADATA PREMIER SERIES 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ DESKTOP (x2)
HDD - Seagate 1.5TB LP Serial ATA HD 5900/32MB/SATA-3G
Video Card - PowerColor Radeon HD 5450 2GB DDR3 PCIe 2.1 (I have been trying to get PC to work without this installed and will install it later but have also tried with it installed to no avail)
Case - Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower ATX Case with 450W PSU

Any and all suggestions / help is very much appreciated!

Thanks guys and gals!

Brandon

Edited by bnehring, 05 October 2011 - 07:47 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have tried with it hooked up to the integrated video as well as the card that came with the barebone kit and still get nothing.

Does the card have a power connector on it and is there power connected to it from the PSU?

Case - Thermaltake V2 Mid Tower ATX Case with 450W PSU

Is the PSU enough actually for the system as most PSU's sold with a case are usually sub standard and normally unstable.

Did you by chance bench test the components before assembling them in the case? If not then I suggest starting over by doing the following steps.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

bnehring

bnehring

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Does the card have a power connector on it and is there power connected to it from the PSU?

No the card does not have a power connector

Is the PSU enough actually for the system as most PSU's sold with a case are usually sub standard and normally unstable.

I would assume all the parts are compatible since it was sold as a barebone kit from Tigerdirect.com. I believe it is rated at 450W if I remember correctly. I can double check this tomorrow if need be.

I have tried to run with only the essentials you mentioned connected and still get the same outcome.

The only thing that I haven't tried to running it all out of the case, I will try this and let you know what I find. (Tomorrow)

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it runs outside of the case then I would double check the standoffs under the motherboard. :)

bnehring

bnehring

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I haven't had time until tonight to test this out, sorry for the delay.

I ran everything outside of the case with only the essentials running and still get no video. I wanted to switch the CPU with his old computer or my desktop but neither are compatible. I don't want to return the CPU or the MB without knowing which one is bad (if they even are).

I am completely lost...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well with it tested outside you have very few choices as to the problem now.
Motherboard... this could be but not limited to the onboard video
CPU.. This would give you error beeps
Memory.. If you are not getting any memory beeps at all this is doubtful
PSU.. If everything powers on but no video highly doubtful this is the issue

bnehring

bnehring

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The alarm is hooked up to the motherboard exactly as the manual shows but even if I try and boot it up with no RAM installed I still don't get any beeps at all. Would you recommend returning the Mobo or the cpu?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep it sounds like a defective motherboard for sure. No post beep usually is a sign the board is not even powering on. I think we have finally run this issue down as the main cause. Even with a faulty CPU you would get some beep out of the system if i remember right but in your case nothing.
If it had started outside the case I would probably have thought you made a first time builder mistake and had standoffs in the wrong place.
The other option is that if there are two power connections from the PSU to the motherboard it would not start if they were not both connected. Looking at the manual on the motherboard I do see two as indicated in the picture below.[attachment=52850:untitled.JPG]

bnehring

bnehring

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The first time I booted it up I didn't have the 4 pin power hooked up but it powered up with no video. Then after taking a closer look I connected both the 4pin and 20pin and still had no video. Could i have harmed the Mobo by turning it on the first time without the 4pin hooked up?

Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I honestly think it is a defective motherboard at this point.

bnehring

bnehring

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry for such delay. Been very busy! I would like to let you know that it did end up being the mother board. It must have arrived DOA. Got a new one installed it and everything booted up perfectly.

Thank you for your help and insight, it is very much appreciated!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and glad you have gotten the motherboard replaced.
Congratulations. :yes: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible