Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Issues after Trying Free "Cleaning" Programs

• Please log in to reply

JonRigg

JonRigg

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite M505-S4940 laptop which I purchased roughly 2 years ago. It came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit(which will be useful information for a problem below.) It has worked PERFECTLY for me over the years. Recently it started acting sluggish which enticed me to look up ways to speed up and regain the performance I was used to. I regularly run the CleanMgr and Defrag, but I wanted to do more. I came across a web article by PCWORLD with 50 ways to speed up your computer ( http://www.pcworld.c...up_your_pc.html ). I gave some of the free programs a shot, because PCWORLD is a respectable trust worthy publication. I downloaded and ran the following programs: Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal, PC Decrapifier, Ccleaner, Duplicate Music Files, Download Accelerator, and Spyware Blaster. Once all the processes were complete I set up a Mac style toolbar with RocketDock (also from PC World article.) Upon restarting my computer I noticed in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop I had a message “Build 6002: This copy of Windows is not genuine,” and the layout of my Windows looks…different. Nothing major, my desktop image is still the same but the coloring is off, if that makes sense? The “not genuine” message has since disappear, magically, but the look is still off. In addition, I can no longer view webpages even though I am connected to the internet. I get the error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.” As well as my internal and external(HP DVD1040e) disc drives are not reading discs. The drive itself is functioning: ejecting and closing, trying to read the data, etc, it just says that there is no disc in the drive after a couple minutes of trying. I’m wondering if something in the registry was deleted, or some important aspect of a program got deleted inadvertently which is causing all this chaos. I was prepared to upgrade to Windows 7 but I will be unable to do so because my computer can’t read the disc, and if there were an optional online download to upgrade I can’t do that either because no internet access. I tried reverting to a restore point but one of the programs I used to clean up my drive, deleted ALL my restore points. I’ve tried going to device manager to uninstall the drives and reboot to reinstall. I’ve attempted to update the driver but they are both current and functioning properly. I just need some information on how to either restore back to a point before I got hosed with these clean up programs, or a way to get my disc drives and internet working again. Also, if I upgrade to windows 7 will it fix any of my problems? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi JonRigg and :)
You unfortunately like so many others have found out the hard way the harm that these type of program can do, GTG will always advise you to avoid such quick fixes and here is some information as to why; http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html
You will need a fully working computer that also has an internet connection + you will need a thumb drive to save the download to, http://mintywhite.co...ir-disc-fix-pc/
Good luck and let us know how it works out.