Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build, help please.

• Please log in to reply

akkad

akkad

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all!

Very lively forums you've got here

This is a new rig (hopefully) that I'm planning on getting according to my budget. I'm going to make it simple for the both of us and follow exactly as recommended by a sticky post from another forum which i thought will be helpful or at least more organized.

I have already chosen the parts (although I'm totally open to new replacements), the area in which i need the most help in is:
Is there any other part you would prefer over the one that I have chosen? (or that anybody else has)
Are these compatible?
Any bottlenecks?
Will any problem occur if I decide to upgrade it (add SLI or Crossfire, for example)
Any difference between ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Newegg.com - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI P67A-G43 (B3) Newegg.com - MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

No advice will be taken lightly! Much gratitude.

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

GPU: XFX HD-677X-ZNLC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 or MSI P67A-G43 (B3) or anything worthy ( I used this to help http://i1002.photobu...Guide/Guide.png)

RAM: http://go.redirectin...tml#post2304101

CASE: ~60$

TOTAL W/KEYBOARD & MOUSE ~730$

Also, I read a lot about Z68 and Intel P67, any tips or opinions about these?

1) What is your budget?
~700
2) Are there any brands/resellers that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nope, I will take any brand name.
3) What tasks will you be performing with the Desktop?
Altium, gaming (around a medium on BF3 is how I would measure my gaming priorities).
4) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
BF3, SC2, CIV, Skyrim ()!
5) Do you mind buying parts online without seeing them in person?
Nope.
6) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS X, Linux, etc.
Windows 7.
7) How much hard drive space is needed?
~500
8) What size desktop would you like?(All in one, compact, large)
Cheapest?
9) Does the case need to be stylish?
Nope.
10) What resolution will the screen run at? One or Two screens?
1680x1050? no idea really.
11) Do you need any particular hardware?(Ports, HDD slots, double DVD drives, etc.)
Nope.
12) How would you rate your technical skills?
Great.
13) Have you ever built a desktop before?
Yes.
14) Do you need wireless connectivity?
Yes.
15) When are you going to be building this?
As soon as I get it.
16) Have you considered a pre-built desktop? Or even a notebook?
Yes, too expensive and mediocre compared with building one on my own.
17) Are you going to overclock?
Not immediately, maybe sometime in the future to extend my PC life with programs, games.

Thank you again.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't see an OS listed. Link to RAM does not work. If more than 4Gb, you need 64-bit OS.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi akkad, Posted Image

I will start the ball rolling.

[quote]Are these compatible?[/quote]

Most will be but, The RAM needs to be confirmed from the QLV list from whichever Mobo is selected, the size of the PSU needs to be calculated after everything else is selected.

[quote]Any bottlenecks?[/quote]

Don't know yet, most likely the HDDs.

[quote]Will any problem occur if I decide to upgrade it (add SLI or Crossfire, for example)[/quote]

Non I can see at the moment.

[quote][Any difference between ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Newegg.com - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI P67A-G43 (B3) Newegg.com - MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard/quote]

Some info for you.

http://www.bit-tech....l-z68-chipset/1
http://www.hardwareh...troduction.html
http://techreport.com/articles.x/20911