Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virus No Access

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Repair Install of Windows XP

When you have had difficulty connecting to the internet and need to do a repair install there are a few steps you will need to do to prepare.

Step 1.

Uninstall your USB network adapter.

Check to make sure you have the driver install disk to use aftter the repair install.

Remove the netowrk adapter from your computer.

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Uninstall your adapter software and driver (Yourlogs show this as a Belkin product)

Reboot

Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > cClick on the + Network Adapters

Right Click your USB network adapter (if it is still present).

Click Uninstall.

Step 2.

Prepare for Repair Install

Collect:

Windows XP CD (Not a recovery disk but a true Windows XP disk)

Make sure you have your Windows XP CD_KEY. Most madchines have it on a tag on the side or back of desktop computers or on the underside of laptops.

If you do not have the CD-Key, visit the keyfinder page to retrieve your CD-KEY by downloading and using Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

Step 3.

Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD

Many computers are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your devices being incorrect. You can change this in the BIOS.

You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different, but here is an example:

Posted Image

Step 4.

Repair Install of Windows XP

In previous versions of Windows, correcting an operating system error, or installing a new motherboard, usually meant formating and reinstalling, resulting in loss of all data. Don't worry; Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system!

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Why would I want to reinstall Windows XP?
1) Can't start Windows XP in safe mode.
2) You have problems caused by a recently installed system update (Windows Update, hotfix, Windows XP service pack, or Microsoft Internet Explorer update).
3) Your problems can't be solved with system restore, or you can't access system restore.
4) You've installed a new motherboard, or made other major hardware changes and need to reinstall Windows.

Let's get started!

Step 1: Rule out hardware issues. Windows Repair will only fix software problems. Hardware issues can also cause boot problems (i.e. bad hard drive, memory, CPU, or power supply).

Step 2: Backup. It's always a good idea to backup your important data before making changes to Windows XP. Relax, if you follow these instructions your data will be perfectly safe.

Step 3: Boot from your Windows XP CD. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. Can't boot from your CD? Please see the note at the bottom of this page (Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD).

Step 4: A blue screen will appear and begin loading Windows XP Setup from the CD.

Note: RAID/SCSI/Unsupported UDMA users:
You will be prompted to "press F6 to install any third party SCSI or RAID drivers". Most users will not have to press F6, but if you are running RAID, SCSI or unsupported UDMA controllers, then you will have to have your controller drivers on a floppy disk. If you are unsure whether you have RAID/SCSI, then simply let the CD load without pressing F6.

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console

Posted Image

When presented with the screen below. press the F8 key to continue.

Posted Image

Next, Windows Setup will find existing Windows XP installations. You will be asked to repair an existing XP installation, or install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

If no installations are found, then you will not be given the option to repair. This may happen if the data or partition on your drive is too corrupted.

Note: If you install a fresh copy, all data on that partition will be lost!

Posted Image

Your almost finished! Windows XP will appear to be installing itself for the first time, but it will retain all of your data and settings. Just follow the prompts, and have your CD-KEY ready if needed.

Update: Due to the proliferation of the Blaster and Welchia Worm/Virus be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable. You can get infected within seconds. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first

Remember to run Windows Update! (install critical updates first)

Step 5.

Make sure you have the windows firewall enabled.

Antvirus software is a necessity. This is your primary line of defense against the type of malware that has infected your computer. Each of the following products have real-time protection and scheduled scans. Please choose one, install it, update the antivirus database/definitions, and run a complete scan.

These are among the best free antivirus/antispyware products.
*Please note* You should never install more than one anti-virus program on a PC because it will cause conflicts.

Then reinstall your USB Network Adapter following your manufacturer's directions.

Once you have established an internet connection immediately go to Windows Update and install all remaining critical updates

As always if you have any questions please ask!

Advertisements

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I repaired windows and my wireless adaptor seems to be working ok, i can go into ip config etc but when i try to connect it does not work, and i noticed an error msg in the advanced tab :
ieee 802.1 authentication can not operate on a peer to peer....

Thank you
T

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi, I managed to sort out the problem! Its all fine now...
Thank you so much for your help!
Cheers
T

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Fantastic!! :)

I will be back later with some necessary updates and security recommendations.

CompCav

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Step 1.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Step 2.

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer for this scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the ActiveX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the options Remove found threats and the option Scan unwanted applications is checked
  • Click Scan (This scan can take several hours, so please be patient)
  • Once the scan is completed, you may close the window
  • Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic

Run ESET Online Scan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Make sure that the option "Remove found threats" is Unchecked
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Step 3.

Security Check
Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.

Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Step 4.

Please post:

mbam log
eset log
Security Check Log

Please give me an update on how your computer is doing!

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

PC seems fine altough IE is a bit slow and it seems i now have an old version. When i click on 'start' i can see IE but the icon is gone... I'm going to update to the latest version.

Here are my logs:

STEP 1
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8001

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

22/10/2011 23:18:08
mbam-log-2011-10-22 (23-18-08).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 181539
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

STEP 2

E:\thierry\downloads\Nero-8.2.8.0_eng_trial.exe Win32/Toolbar.AskSBar application

(my E: drive is an additional drive I use to store files)

STEP 3

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.24
Windows XP Service Pack 2 x86
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 6 Out of date!
``````````````````````````````
Antivirus/Firewall Check:

Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Free Antivirus
ESET Online Scanner v3
Antivirus out of date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
```````````````````````````````
Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
HijackThis 2.0.2
CCleaner
Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_03
Java™ 6 Update 20
Out of date Java installed!
Adobe Flash Player ( 10.3.181.26) Flash Player Out of Date!
Mozilla Firefox (x86 en-GB..)
````````````````````````````````
Process Check:
objlist.exe by Laurent

AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast avastUI.exe
``````````End of Log````````````

Thanks Again!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Make sure Avast's resident protection is turned on Real Time Shields should have both scans checked and rptection Status running. Then manually update it Avast by clicking on Maintenance side tab and update engine and virus diefinitions!

I will be back later with instructions to update the other's.

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I've done all the updates you mentioned.

Thank you so much for your help it was great.

Best Regards

T

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Did you do all of the Microsoft updates and especially SP3??

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Yes
Thanks
T

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Step 1.

OTL Fix

We need to run an OTL Fix Make sure your external drive is attached for this.

• Please reopen Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Copy and Paste the following code into the Posted Image textbox.

:OTL

:files
    E:\thierry\downloads\Nero-8.2.8.0_eng_trial.exe Win32/Toolbar.AskSBar application
    ipconfig /flushdns /c

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyflash]
    [Reboot]
  • Push Posted Image
  • OTL may ask to reboot the machine. Please do so if asked.
  • Click the OK button.
  • A report will open. Copy and Paste that report in your next reply.
  • If the machine reboots, the log will be located at C:\_OTL\MovedFiles\mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log, where mmddyyyy_hhmmss is the date and the time of the tool run.

Step 2.

Installing Updates

I
  • f your computer is set to automatically install updates, you'll be prompted by Automatic Updates to install SP3. For more information, see Set up Automatic Updates.
  • If you aren't prompted to install SP3, follow these steps:
  • To install SP3 using Windows Update
  • Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
  • Click Express (Recommended).
  • If your computer is up to date, Windows XP SP3 will be one of the updates that is automatically selected. Click Install Updates. If your computer isn't up to date, Windows Update will offer some other updates that you have to install first. Install those, and then repeat steps 1 thru 5 to obtain Windows XP SP3. Finally repeat steps 1 thru 5 to obtain all critical updates.
  • Follow the instructions that appear on your screen.
  • After the installation is complete, click Finish to restart your computer. You may have to restart several times.

Step 3.

Update Java:

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to clear the Java Cache, remove older version Java components, and update:

Clear your Java Cache
  • click on Start-> Control Panel (Classic View)-> Java (looks like a coffee cup)
  • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
  • Next, click on the Delete Files button
  • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked
Applications and Applets
Trace and Log Files

• Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
    Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
  • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
  • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

Download Current Version of Java
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version 7 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java SE 7u1.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right for JRE.
  • Select your Platform: "Windows".
  • Select your Language: "Multi-language".
  • Read the License Agreement, and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • Click Continue and the page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, jre-7u1-windows-i586.exe and save the file to your desktop.

Uninstall Old Java
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
    Java 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition v1.3.1_03
    Java™ 6 Update 20
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.

Install New Java
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-7-windows-i586.exe to install the newest version.

Step 4.

Update Adobe Flash Player using FireFox

Please go to Update Flash Player. If you go there using Firefox it should say Windows 32-bit , English, Firefox

Un check McAfee Scan.

Click Download Now and once it is downloaded, install it..

Then go back to the main Flash Player page and click Do you have a different system or browser?

Select Windows 7 (32-bit)/Vista/XP/2008/2003

Select Flash Player for Internet Explorer.

Then click Download Now and once it is downloaded, install it.

Step 5.

Please make sure your Avast program is updated and not just the definitions/engine. Go to the screen shown below and click Update Program

Capture.GIF

Step 6.

Please let me know how the computer is performing. Is the slowness gone? Any other issues?

tttezzza

tttezzza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
It's now fast and perfect like a new computer!
Thank you
All the best

T

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,448 posts
Very well done!! This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware :) - Please let me know if you are
still having problems with your computer and what these problems are.

The following procedure will implement some cleanup and update procedures. It will also reset your System Restore by flushing out previous restore points and create a new restore point. It will also remove all the backups our tools may have made. Finally, I have several recommendations to keep your computer safe and secure.

Any programs and logs that are left over can just be deleted from the desktop.

TFC is a free temp file cleaner that is very easy to use, You should keep this and use it before you do any scans or when you want to free up some space.

Uninstall ComboFix:

• Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
  • then click OK
    Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Remove Tools:

Please open OTL.
Click on the Cleanup button. This will remove most of the tools left on your desktop.
You will be prompted to reboot. Please reboot.

Clear System Restore Points:

This is a good time to clear your existing system restore points and establish a new clean restore point:
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore
  • Select Create a restore point, and Ok it.
  • Next, go to Start > Run and type in cleanmgr
  • choose your root drive (normally C:\)
  • after it calculates how much space you will save it will open up a new window
  • Select the More options tab at the top of the window
  • Choose the option to clean up system restore and OK it.
  • go back to the disk clean up tab
  • put a checkmark in all - except compress old files (leave this unchecked)
  • click Ok then click yes
This will remove all restore points except the new one you just created and clean unneeded files

Antivirus Software:

Antvirus software is a necessity. This is your primary line of defense against the type of malware that has infected your computer. Each of the following products have real-time protection and scheduled scans. Please choose one, install it, update the antivirus database/definitions, and run a complete scan.

These are among the best free antivirus/antispyware products.
*Please note* You should never install more than one anti-virus program on a PC because it will cause conflicts.

Firewall:

Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. Using a firewall will allow you to allow/deny access for applications that want to go online. Select one of these, or another of your choice:

For the Windows Firewall, just enable by following the directions in the link and for either of the other two, just download and install in the normal/standard configuration.

Make your Internet Explorer more secure:

• From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Make Firefox more secure:

Please visit this page to explain how to make Firefox more secure - How to Secure Firefox

Make Sure Your Applications Have All of Their Updates:

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

Turn On Automatic Updates:

To turn on Automatic Updates:
  • Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
  • Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them
If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site specific to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.

You can also visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

Update Adobe Reader

Recently there have been vunerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version.

Uninstall all previous versions.
Download the latest version from: http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html

If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

If you do not like Adobe Reader (53 MB), you can download Foxit PDF Reader(7 MB) from here. It is a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.

Note: When installing FoxitReader, be careful, do not install anything to do with AskBar.

Antispyware programs:

I recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (all free), and remember to update them regularly:
  • WinPatrol As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
  • Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machine.
  • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - It is a powerful anti-malware tool. It is totally free, but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee. We used this to help clean your computer and we recomend keeping it. Please update it and use it weekly.

Here is some great reading about how to be safer online:
PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need?
and
COMPUTER SECURITY - a short guide to staying safer online from Malware Removal

Please reply to this post so that I know you have read it. Then if you have no further questions, the thread can be closed.Posted Image

I Will Keep This Open For About Three Days. If Anything Comes Up - Just Come Back And Let Me Know, after that time you will have to send me a PM

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.