Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Some Advice On Build

• Please log in to reply

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I purposely chose the i3 2100 because I think it should suffice my needs for now. And I am planning to upgrade in a year or two.

Which of these is better?
P67: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155
Z68: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The Z68 is the newer technology and allows onboard graphics with an appropriate CPU. So the Z makes the better sense for me.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Recheck comparability of RAM on Mobo manufacturers web site from their QVL list.

http://www.asrock.co...=Specifications

If going with the Z68 Mobo, would leave you enough in your budget to install a smaller second HDD. This would greatly improve the efficiency of the system.
HDD 1. OS and programs.
HDD 2. DATA, storage of finished projects, backups including OS drive imagel

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136697

Please post your final parts list before ordering so we can make sure everything is OK.

Edited by iammykyl, 13 October 2011 - 09:31 PM.

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Which is better, Seagate or Western Digital?
Because their 1tb 7200rpm prices differ by a fair amount.

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200

I looked around online on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, it apparently doesn't have usb 3.0 headers. Can I just buy a usb 3.0 header from somewhere and plug it in?

EDIT:
And since I have a little more budget from choosing the Z68, I would like to get a better case. Since I have a spare 300gb 2.5 hdd lying around.
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2
or
Rosewill BLACKHAWK

Edited by PrvtApple, 17 October 2011 - 12:01 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

looked around online on the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, it apparently doesn't have usb 3.0 headers. Can I just buy a usb 3.0 header from somewhere and plug it in?

Download the manual, http://www.asrock.co...8 Extreme3 Gen3 Only has USB 2.0 headers on the Mobo, does have 2 USB 3.0 socket on the rear I/O

Which is better, Seagate or Western Digital?
Because their 1tb 7200rpm prices differ by a fair amount

The WD has a 64MB cache and SATA 6.0Gb/s. + 5 years warrantry.

If you read reviews, in general the WD comes out on top, also considered to be a noisy drive. I think it is really mostly a personal choice as in everyday practice you will not notice a performance difference amongst these drives.

My choice is the Samsung spinpoint, the HE103SJ, on the right. http://www.newegg.co...4^22-136-284-TS

I would like to get a better case.

The Rosewill, can't see if it has washable filters.
By reputation, I would go for the Coolermaster, if you do, would be very interested in how it performs.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I believe the Asrock Z68 comes with only 2 SATA DATA cables.
Bare drives come without DATA cable. Unless you have some spare ones, you will need 3 more. 1 for the Optical, 2 for the HDDs.

EDIT. Posted Image Now that was a bit of a ??? Posted Image

You will need to source 1 (one) extra cable.

INFO. How To. everyone has a different approach to building, read both articles and choose the one you want.

http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/ Thank's to Troy.
http://www.diy-gaming-computers.com/

Please keep in touch and let us know how thing progress or if you need further help, "just whistle".

Edited by iammykyl, 18 October 2011 - 02:11 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Most motherboards come with extra cables. If yours does not, they are cheap and easy to find. The WD drive is better, not because it is a WD, but because, as noted above, it has a larger buffer and longer warranty.

If going with the Z68 Mobo, would leave you enough in your budget to install a smaller second HDD. This would greatly improve the efficiency of the system.

Ummm, no. Note sure what this means. The size of the drive has nothing to do with efficiency. Having two physical drives to distribute the installed programs can improve over all disk performance but the preferred method is to have a smaller drive as the boot drive for the OS and perhaps HW drivers only (which is how I set up my systems), and a big secondary drive for all installed programs, Page File, temp files, data files, etc.

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the help!

I want to order in a couple hours, so here is my final list to check:

CPU:Intel Core i3-2100
Motherboard:ASRock Z68 Extreme3
GPU: PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-2DH Radeon HD 6870
PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
CD/DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II

I switched the PSU to the modular CM because other non-modular reviews didn't really make me feel that comfortable in buying them.
And the modular CM has a pretty good rebate too.

Price is $748.54 after tax, shipping and rebates.

EDIT
What kind of SATA DATA cable exactly do I need? Something like this? Nippon Labs SATA II Cable 0.5M

Edited by PrvtApple, 18 October 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you saw all the many reasons why I don't like modular PSUs. At least Cooler Master has a good reputation. Did you pick the CPU and RAM from your board's CPU and RAM Support Lists? Note you must buy the CPU from the QVL (qualified vendor list) list, but there are too many RAM makers and models for motherboard makers to test them all - so you must at least buy RAM with the same electrical specs as listed RAM.

If you look at the images of your motherboard on the Newegg site it shows it comes with 2 SATA data cables. And the PSU should have plenty of SATA power connectors already.

Also on the motherboard site, you can download a copy of the manual. I recommend you do that (for your graphics card and case too) now and become familiar with them while you are twiddling your thumbs waiting for the UPS truck to show. Pay attention to standoff locations and ESD precautions. Another common rookie (and absent-minded professional) mistake is mounting the motherboard before installing the I/O shield.

Lastly, the CPU will come with a TIM "pad". Technically, they are perfectly adequate. But, for my real opinion of them, read my sticky on TIM.

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Found a deal going on newegg:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Saves me a couple dollars.
Did some searching on it, and it should be compatible with the ASRcok Z68 Extreme 3.
And CPU I am buying is also compatible.

Now read those tutorials and manuals. Thanks for all the help!

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is nearly impossible to find RAM that is not guaranteed for life these days, so it is difficult to say one brand is better than the other. But I have used G.Skill in a number of builds with no problems. And while I don't go for fancy looks as I prefer to pay paying attention to my monitors and don't want to be distracted by my case, or what's in it, that RAM does "look" pretty cool! :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Looking very good.

Please let us know how the system performs as others may go with your build.

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Got the last package earlier.
And I just did a test external build, everything looks fine. Booting fine, BIOS is reading everything correct.
Now to install everything into the case and cable managing. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Now to install everything into the case

Just make sure you triple check to ensure you only install a standoff where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole.

PrvtApple

PrvtApple

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Day 3 of running, all is well. The cable managing was a little tricky being my first build, but the big case definitely helped.
The computer and case is audible but barely noticeable. CPU temp is at a good 33C.

I like to thank you all for helping me out on my first build, learned a lot and really happy I came here. :)