Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting two wired LAN's wirelessly

• Please log in to reply

stege

stege

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Greetings all,

I was wondering what setup I would need to accomplish the following.

I have a LAN setup in my house now with a wireless router. I have one computer hardwired and one laptop using the wierless connection.

I have three older computers out in my garage that I would like to use for malware testing, removal and just playing around. I would like them to have internet access from the same modem but do not want them to have access to my house LAN. If I understand correctly, using a second router off of the first router will keep my house LAN safe from things crawling into it from the garage LAN. But my issue is that I don't want to run a cable outside to the garage. Is there a way to wirelessly shoot my connection from the house router out to the garage and then have a wired LAN there? What equiptment would I need to do this?

This all makes sense in my head but I hope it translates well to others! I'd be happy to elaborate more if anyone is kind enough to share some knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements