Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD at random times following change in Broadband provider (XP)

• Please log in to reply

Wolf_3d

Wolf_3d

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

Following my move to this flat on Saturday I signed up and began using the broadband service here. The service is provided by ask4 (http://www.ask4.com/).

As part of the installation process to use this service it made changes to the Network settings. At first I thought things were OK but very quickly BSODs started occurring sometimes as soon as the Windows desktop appears and sometimes when I'm in the middle of a task.

Attached is a picture of the BSOD from earlier today. I found a similar thread with the same STOP code here: http://www.geekstogo...215-bluescreen/

So I followed one of the steps in that thread and using the BlueScreenView tool I was able to create my own BSOD.txt - The output from the text file is as follows:

==================================================
Dump File : Mini100711-02.dmp
Crash Time : 07/10/2011 12:41:00
Bug Check String : BUGCODE_ID_DRIVER
Bug Check Code : 0x40000080
Parameter 1 : 0x89f13130
Parameter 2 : 0x89dbf760
Parameter 3 : 0x89e11eb4
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : NDIS.sys
Caused By Address : NDIS.sys+23821
File Description : NDIS 5.1 wrapper driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+22f43
Stack Address 1 : NDIS.sys+23821
Stack Address 2 : NVENETFD.sys+34ae
Stack Address 3 : NVNRM.SYS+bb8d
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100711-02.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112

Dump File : Mini100711-01.dmp
Crash Time : 07/10/2011 11:05:30
Parameter 1 : 0x89f1c130
Parameter 2 : 0x89daa440
Parameter 3 : 0x89e1e51c
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : NDIS.sys
Caused By Address : NDIS.sys+23821
File Description : NDIS 5.1 wrapper driver
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-0852)
Stack Address 2 : NVENETFD.sys+39e5
Stack Address 3 : NVNRM.SYS+10cb1
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100711-01.dmp

Dump File : Mini100511-01.dmp
Crash Time : 05/10/2011 22:30:27
Parameter 1 : 0x89f17130
Parameter 2 : 0x89da1760
Parameter 3 : 0x89dbf51c
Parameter 4 : 0x00000001
Caused By Driver : NVNRM.SYS
Caused By Address : NVNRM.SYS+e4c
File Description : NVIDIA Network Resource Manager.
Product Name : NVNRM
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 1.00.02.05023
Stack Address 2 : NVENETFD.sys+34ae
Stack Address 3 : NVNRM.SYS+bb8d
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100511-01.dmp

I am writing this from my other os on the same computer which is Ubuntu 10.04 and it has no problems with the same internet. Is there anything I can do to update the Nvidia Network software on here? I couldn't find anything through a Google search.

My specs: ASUS M2NPV-VM Motherboard (NVidia Chipset), Nvidia Gefore GT240 Graphics card

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Wolf_3d
This is possibly caused by your network device drivers, how are you connecting to the broadband, PCI WiFi card or USB WiFi dongle etc? Provide the make and model of the device so we can find you the correct drivers.

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
Thanks to rshaffer61 for the above instructions :)

Wolf_3d

Wolf_3d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, thank you for helping

This is possibly caused by your network device drivers, how are you connecting to the broadband, PCI WiFi card or USB WiFi dongle etc? Provide the make and model of the device so we can find you the correct drivers.

I am connecting using an ethernet cable from the wall socket to the ethernet port on the motherboard of the PC. The motherboard uses an Nvidia chipset as I mentioned in my previous post so it would be an Nvidia network controller. See the attached screenshot to see what I mean.

After two more BSOD's I was able to run the test. I did sign up as you instructed but I have problems signing into it because when I sign-in it takes me right back to the login page even though my details are correct. I therefore had to do the test without logging in. I don't know if the link will work but the url is here: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24593058

I took some screenshots of the results (attached) in case the link doesn't work.

Attached Thumbnails

• system device.JPG
  • pcpitstop results.JPG
  • pcpitstop results 2.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Wolf_3d
The url worked fine thanks :)
The Network adapter is not shown as having any issues so please address all of the items with the large X on them (hover over them to get the details) and see if the issues is resolved, let us know how you get on.

NB:

I am connecting using an ethernet cable from the wall socket to the ethernet port on the motherboard of the PC. The motherboard uses an Nvidia chipset as I mentioned in my previous post so it would be an Nvidia network controller. See the attached screenshot to see what I mean.

Just a FYI: I had to ask in case it was an add on WiFi component causing the issue.

Wolf_3d

Wolf_3d

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello,

I have applied all the suggested fixes by the Pitstop Overdrive utility. The general stability of the system seems to have improved but after a few days of testing it (hence the delay in response) the BSOD's seem to be less frequent or quick to show. Yesterday, for example, I was playing a full screen game and it took 30 minutes before the BSOD showed up. I'm not sure what else to try out now.

Just a FYI: I had to ask in case it was an add on WiFi component causing the issue.

Yeah, I thought so.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Try running MeMtest+86 http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/ and check out the free driver downloads @ http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ (I am not endorsing or promoting the use of any other product that may be offered there)