Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell latitude D630 will not get out of hibernation

• Please log in to reply

Michelle Sepulveda

Michelle Sepulveda

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop will immediately go into hibernation mode after only a minute of powering on. I do not have enough time to change settings in the control panel before the screen goes black....please tell me there is another way.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi Michelle Sepulveda and :)

My laptop will immediately go into hibernation mode after only a minute of powering on

Just to clarify does the power LED remain lit and can you hear the CPU fan working?

I do not have enough time to change settings in the control panel before the screen goes black.

Do you see anything at all when you power up the laptop, the Dell logo for example.
If you can, connect the laptop to an external screen by using the VGA port, you may need to toggle between screens by using the Fn key + one of the F1 to F12 keys (possibly F5).
Post the requested details and we will be better informed to offer further guidance.

Michelle Sepulveda

Michelle Sepulveda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I am able to see the screen as well as the desktop. I can use the computer for a about 5 minutes before the screen goes black, once it does I have to power off the computer and wait for a couple of hours just so the screen will stay on for a few min again. I will have to find someone with a screen, so I can try your request. Hopefully I will be able to.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
With the additional details that you have provided it may suggest overheating of one or more components or a bad back-light, when if ever was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust, when the screen goes black can you shine a flashlight into the screen to check if you can see the desktop and icons in the background.
Simple cleaning can be done by removing easy to access components such as the Ram sticks and covers and then directing canned compressed air only in short blasts through any openings/exhaust vents and the Ram slots, do not upend the air can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted, reassemble the laptop and see how it goes.
A more comprehensive cleaning of the inside of the case is best left to a suitably qualified/competent person as placing an incorrect sized screw in the wrong place can trash your laptop for good, your laptop disassembly guide;
http://support.dell....l.htm#wp1116667