Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan has disabled my internet and other windows features

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you get to the command prompt could you type the following first please pressing enter after each line

CD..
C:
sfc /scannow

Advertisements

Purgle

Purgle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ran it from the c: prompt but got the same message

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK it looks as though we may have to do a repair install, this will retain all your documents

The instructions are on this page

Start at this section To upgrade to Windows Vista

When you get here

6.On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

Ensure that you select Upgrade

Purgle

Purgle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Did as you said but when I got to the screen to choose upgrade it was greyed out and the screen said that "Upgrade has been disabled

- To upgrade, start the installation from Windows"

This is proving really tricky sorry to be such a pain

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
How much important data do you have on the system ?

As we may need to back that up first before we try the next stage

Purgle

Purgle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
There is quite a lot of data on there circa 300gb but I did run a data backup about a month ago to an external hard drive. In addition as I feared this might happen I bought and installed a brand new 500gb hard drive at the weekend onto which I've installed windows so I can now boot from this drive. It allows me to access the faulty original drive so I can copy over most of the files onto the new one, I started some of that last night but did encounter a slight problem as when I looked in my user account in the documents folder i couldn't see a number of the sub folders which should be there such as My Exel Files, My Word Files etc I checked the properties for the document folder and it indicated some 2000 ish files which makes me think they are still there but I just can't see them.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be away from the computer until Friday now but please keep this thread open as your help is invaluabe as always.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You probably will need to take ownership of the folder to access the files. I will research that now

Purgle

Purgle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi did you have any luck with how I take ownership of folders to help me ackup my files

Purgle

Purgle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Essexboy, I've got the files back it looks like some of the programmes we'd run had hidden the folders so I'm now backing up all my data still can't boot up from my original disk though.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Phew I was in the process of written a fairly detailed and teduious set of instructions - saved me a job :)

Once the data is backed up it would probably be best to do a full re-install from the disc

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.