Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer only turns on when I re-plug 24pin connector?!

• Please log in to reply

esaitchkay

esaitchkay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i7 2600k stock HSF [ :yes: ]
Asus P8P67-PRO
MSI 6870 reference
2x2GB G. Skill Ripjaws CL9 1600MHZ
Seasonic M12 700W
2x WD Caviar Blue (MainOS: 320GB, Storage: 500GB)
Silverstone RV01
---
Built this a week ago (parts are used). PSU Fan is clogged with what seems to be black dust (previous owner was a smoker?) - should I attempt to clean this crap out? Any guides on how to? I don't want to screw up something as delicate as a PSU.
Problem: Computer only turns when I unplug the 24 pin connector and plug it back in. It then says that the BIOS needs to be setup again.
Also, before I attempt to turn on the computer, the EPU and VPU green lights are on.
Also, when sometimes when I try to change the multiplier and bclk, it changes back to what it was before. e.g., I want to change the bclk to 100.0 from 103.0. As soon as I press enter, it changes back to 103.0. Same goes for multiplier. ATM, I don't have an aftermarket H50 (waiting on 1155/6 brackets and 2 fans for push/pull on my h50 to arrive. Until then, stock hsf :) .

What do you guys recommend? Should I take apart my computer and assemble it again? Make sure that the leads on the PSU are put in correctly (modular)?

Cheers for reading :)

Edited by esaitchkay, 08 October 2011 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi esaitchkay and :)

Fan is clogged with what seems to be black dust (previous owner was a smoker?) - should I attempt to clean this crap out? Any guides on how to?

Disconnect and remove the PSU from the computer then blow out the gunk with canned compressed air, only use short blasts, do not allow the PSU fan to spin freely hold it still with something like a Q tip and do not upend the can as it is possible that fluid can be emitted (example) http://www.walmart.c...uery=canned air
Under no circumstances should you open the PSU, there are no user serviceable parts inside and you risk electrocution or worse.

Computer only turns when I unplug the 24 pin connector and plug it back in.

You do not do this when the power is connected and live do you!

It then says that the BIOS needs to be setup again.

This is normally caused by either a bad CMOS battery or the jumper cap on the wrong pins, the latter can also prevent the computer from booting, the cap may typically be on pins 1-2 for normal use and 2-3 for clearing the CMOS. Check.

Also, before I attempt to turn on the computer, the EPU and VPU green lights are on.

PSUs put out various outputs +3.3V, +5V and +12V what you describe only suggests that the PSU is putting out some measure of power and most likely +3.3V and +5V the +12V is what powers the CPU so if this is bad or not connected securely or at all the PC will not boot.

Also, when sometimes when I try to change the multiplier and bclk, it changes back to what it was before. e.g., I want to change the bclk to 100.0 from 103.0. As soon as I press enter, it changes back to 103.0. Same goes for multiplier

This I cannot help you with as I have never been a fan of O/Cing but FWIW http://www.geekstogo...w-to-overclock/
Do the above and post back to let us know how you get on or before if you require assistance in any way.