Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Studio 1555 running Windows XP 32bit. Should I upgrade to Windows

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I own a Dell Studio 1555 laptop.
Here are the specs:
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz:
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 398MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard: Dell Inc. (U2E1):
Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5000BEVT-75ZAT0 (SATA):
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA31N
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01

I'm currently running Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3 and I use Adobe Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Lightroom 3.5 quite a lot.

I'm curious if I should upgrade the operating system of this laptop to Windows 7 64bit and get Photoshop CS5. Will I see improvement in the performance, since it's 64 bit? Or is the computer not strong enough and possibly the result will be worse than with Windows XP and Adobe CS4?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi adifrank
My first suggestion would be to run the W7 upgrade adviser http://windows.micro.../upgradeadvisor

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
http://windows.micro...asked-questions
Hi -
The link above should generally explain about 32bit Vs 64bit options and some FAQ.

Please note that, generally, any benifit from 64bit systems is mostly useful if you run a Minimum of 4 G RAM or above.
The old theory that 64bit systems run better / faster is often based on the fact that they are larger operating systems to begin with.

Most programs will run on both 64 and 32bit systems, however some older programs are more suited to 32bit.
Read the link (Upgrade Advisor is also included) then make your decision.

Regards -
EDITED for spelling only -

Edited by noknojon, 08 October 2011 - 03:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Running the upgrade adviser first was suggested to confirm whether the laptop and all of its associated software are even capable of running 64 bit Windows.
Also be aware that 64 bit Windows may affect your AV software and that if you have any older software/drivers for printers or other devices then these will not work with 64 bit Windows.
What did the upgrade adviser report adifrank?

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Thanks guys. I will run the adviser once I'm at where the Dell laptop is and report back. Thanks for the replies!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Most programs will run on both 64 and 32bit systems...

Ummm, no. That should say, "Most 32-bit programs will run on both 64-bit and 32-bit systems." No 64-bit program will run on a 32-bit OS.

Also, Windows 7 was designed to support current and future hardware, with today's security environment taking top priority. Legacy hardware (and software) support in Windows 7 was not a priority, and that was the correct design decision. And because of that, I generally do not recommend upgrading to a modern OS with older hardware. Beside any security or compatibility/current driver issues, it is not likely you will see any performance improvement.