Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure if I'm Updating Wireless Driver Properly

• Please log in to reply

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Wait, as I was reading news, all of a sudden my computer decided to connect to 'wireless network connection 3' with a signal strength of 'good'...and I did not touch anything related to internet access after the initial connection! HA! ...and I am not sure what happened to network connection 1 or 2. I like 'good' though. :)

Edited by Poochure, 09 October 2011 - 03:21 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Then I suggest a complete uninstall and reinstall using the procedure that I previously described making sure that all previous traces of the drivers are removed before reinstallation, if this does not resolve the issue please run PCPitstop;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
Thanks to rshaffer61 for the above instructions.

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Philpower, you are so helpful and 'quick to draw'...but I am not sure if you saw the post above...because we might have been posting at the same time.

Now, after having assigned itself to a network connection, it is going from 'good' to 'very good'..... :yes:

You rock, by the way. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Poochure
Early days yet but hopefully this is good news, I suggest you leave the internet connected for now and see if you receive any system updates + the PCPitstop option is there if you need it, keep us advised and good luck :)

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
:) :) :yes:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Happy days I hope :)

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, happy days! Sorry, that is what those emoticons meant. :) All has been well. I did a lot of work that needed internet use all day yesterday on that computer without any further issues. I think that maybe you could consider the issue to be resolved. Thank you, so much, again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thank you for the update Poochure, I am happy that the issue now appears to be resolved :yes: :)
GTG will never close a topic unless it is requested by the OP or it is in breach of the Terms of Use so if the issue reoccurs you are welcome to update this topic and we will assist you :)

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, Philpower. Please :) I am low again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi
Please flush your DNS cache "how to" below;

First Run Start - Run - At the Run screen write "cmd" than press Enter button, there it will show you the Command Prompt window.
At the command prompt window write "ipconfig/flushdns", and press Enter!

Then refer to post #17 and provide the PCPitstop url so that we can check the results, just so you are aware this could either be a software or hardware issue.

Advertisements

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks again, Philpower!

I flushed the DNS - which is something that I have to do often.

I ran the overdrive tests, and here are the results:
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24602659

But, to perhaps confuse the issue, my connection is back to good/very good this morning. I came back and asked for help the other day after about 24 hours straight of low, even at 5 a.m., when no one's up yet. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please address all of the items with an X mark, you do this by clicking on them.

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hmmmm, ...not sure if I am understanding correctly. Everything under the 'fixes' tab already has x's in the 'status' column, and I canot seem to get any x's to show up on other items listed under other tabs by clicking on them.
:)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Start with Craplet Scan, place the cursor over it and it will give you a description of what it is, click on it and it will provide you with the solution/fix, you do not click on the X, that is only to signify that the item has a problem.

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Philpower!

I have had some strange things happening while undergoing the fixes. I am working my way down the list, in order. While deleting temporary internet files, I saw 2 different sets of users between the safe mode and regular windows log in screens. Safe: Admin & Poochure. Regular: Poochure & Guest. So, for the purpose of the fixes, while in safe mode I cannot access the Guest account that I never use, and therefore cannot dump the temp files associated with it.

I also cannot supposedly access the Admin account while logging on regularly (dum, I thought Poochure was Admin.). I am not sure if this matters, but I thought that I'd communicate it. :)

But, that is not where I am stuck, it's at the next step - updating network adapter drivers. I am making sure that I am logged in as a user on the site, but yet when I click on the little icons to download any of the three recommended drivers I get stopped, told that I have to be registered user to access them, and that it would be great to purchase driver updater software. I have tried on both IE and Firefox.

What to do next, my friend, go onto their forums?

Edited by Poochure, 15 October 2011 - 03:17 PM.