Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Sure if I'm Updating Wireless Driver Properly

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
See if you can get the network driver for free from http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ ( from memory you can download only 2 drivers a day for free?
I would leave the temp files issue alone for the time being.

Edited by phillpower2, 16 October 2011 - 01:06 PM.

Advertisements

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks, Philpower!

Am I to download the drivermax software and register as a user or search through the drivers found here: http://drivermax.com/driver/update/ ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
http://www.drivermax.../driver/update/ just to reiterate I am only suggesting the free driver downloads and in no way suggesting that you use any other product or service offered.

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Philpower!
When clicking on a driver in a search list, this is what you get: "You reached this page by using the search function. The previous results only showed that we have the drivers you need. Unfortunately we can not allow drivers to be downloaded and installed only after a name search. We have to make sure the files you are downloading really match your computer's hardware configuration. After installing DriverMax you will be able to download the correct drivers."

So, I know you were not recommending that I download anything other than the drivers, but I chose to use the wizard.

But, the wizard is recommending the download of a different version of the Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC: 6.111.723.2009.

Should I download it?
:)

Edited by Poochure, 16 October 2011 - 11:07 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi Poochure
Allow DriverMax to scan your system and it will identify the correct driver, for the record you are only allowed to download two drivers per day for free and not three as I stated earlier.
If the device is presently working ok I would leave well alone and only install the new drivers if the connection speed drops again, as I said this could still be a hardware issue.

Poochure

Poochure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have had a 'very good' signal for about 24 hours solid, so I will take your advice about letting the system be unless the issue arises again. Thank you. :) If it goes low again, do you want me to come back here and report that, or first download the Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC: 6.111.723.2009 that drivermax recommended then come back here for help?

When you mention that it could be a hardware issue, are you referring to my 9 year old hard drive? I know...that's kinda going off-topic....

Thank you for your time, Philpower. People like you make the world go 'round.

Edited by Poochure, 16 October 2011 - 12:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi Poochure
If it goes low again try the drivers recommended by DriverMax first and then post back with the results.
The hardware issue I refer to is the network device itself, they don`t last forever and the more use they have the more tired they can become, the good thing is replacements are inexpensive and very easy to fit and set up.

Thank you for your time, Philpower. People like you make the world go 'round

You are welcome, it is a pleasure to help people as willing to learn and as polite and gracious as yourself :)