Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no 6 pin PCI express connector on PSU

• Please log in to reply

pgrbff

pgrbff

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My PSU recently burnt out. The machine was off, I was away 3 weeks and the day I got home I could smell burning eletrics! I powered up the mobo with a spare PSU I have but it doesn't have a PCI express connector. I only want to get the machine working temporarily, is there a way of making up a patch lead?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi pgrbff and :)
Safest option http://www.cclonline...dapter/CAB1221/ I would not advise the use of anything not fit or meant for the purpose ie a patch lead you risk not only damage to components but also electrocution or worse.

pgrbff

pgrbff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Great, thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are welcome :)

pgrbff

pgrbff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I swapped the power supply. The motherboard powers up when I switch the PSU on, which it shouldn't, its an old socket 939 I think, AMD 64 3500, it has separate 24 and 4 pin connectors. ctrl and F1 and the power switch do nothing and there is no output to the screen. The onboard hex display indicates a bios load error. I think something else is fried somewhere and I don't have the experience to work out what. It's an old machine and needs replacing anyway.
Is there a way of connecting the SATA hard drives externally to a laptop? There is a letter I need to get a copy of and I can't really wait until I have another desktop to play with.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi pgrbff

The motherboard powers up when I switch the PSU on, which it shouldn't

This could be the result of a short circuit or a bad PSU (possibly a short).

The onboard hex display indicates a bios load error. I think something else is fried somewhere and I don't have the experience to work out

Resolving the possible short circuit/bad PSU issue first is vital but clearing the CMOS or replacing the CMOS battery may help with this.
The best/least expensive option I could find http://www.usbnow.co...CFcIe4QodWXl2IA
Let us know how it goes or if we can assist you with anything further.