Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So over the summer my laptop was completely fine. I move to my dorm at university a month ago, and ever since it keeps freezing while watching vids on YouTube, or playing a game, or while I'm on skype with my friends. I went home on Friday, and none of this happened. I come back to school today, and it just froze again.

Does anyone have any idea why ? Could it be because of the internet ?

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Could it be because of the internet ?

Is there a reason to suspect the internet connection is bad ?
Do you have any other "general internet" problems, like accessing Google or any other links ?

Regards -

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
To be honest,I can't think of any other reason. The only thing that has changed when I moved from home was the internet. No other problems.

My other guess is that they take a lot of memory, which could be possible, but I got a cooling pad with me.

In any case, like I said; it didn't crash at home, but it crashes here at school.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Did you just click on the Google link I left, and was the link direct to Google home page ?

Can you list the basic Specs of the computer (Make , Model , RAM, etc) and anything else -

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yeah, I was taken to Google.com

Computer specs -

-Acer Aspire 5542-5462
-AMD Turion 1M || x2 M500
(-2.2 Ghz, 1MB l2 Cache)
-ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics
Upto 1919 MB Hyper Memory
-15.6" HD LEC LCD
-4 GB memory
-500GB HDD

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
I think the first place to start would be http://support.amd.c...SupportHub.aspx
This is where you can find the drivers and updates (there is a recent update) for your Acer laptop Graphics card.

Look at the listings for ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics and there should be a link to Drivers.

Regards -

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So I downloaded and installed the new driver. I'll keep you posted if it freezes again.

Edited by Apocalypse_VC, 09 October 2011 - 06:30 PM.

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So I went back home again for the weekend, and not once did it crash.

I'm pretty confident that it's got nothing to do with my drivers, or viruses/spyware/malware, or hardware. I believe it has something to do with my internet or network settings.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -
Can you please list the Internet Provider at your home, and then list your Internet Provider at Uni.

Thank You -

Apocalypse_VC

Apocalypse_VC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
At home I got Verizon. As for my school I'm not sure.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -
Sorry for my late reply as I have been a bit busy, here and other forums.

When do you expect to return to school, and, if you can, could you please repost from there once your problems return ?

In the mean time, please just check this for me if you could. Open Internet Explorer (it must be I.E. and not any other browser).
On the top line click Tools (if you do not see this press ALT key) > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Make sure the only box ticked is Automatically detect settings, and the others are not ticked > Click OK > OK, and this should exit from the menu fully.

Now reboot and see how your internet is operating (it should be OK).

Check with the school when you get back as they may use other settings for their internet there.

Regards -