Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with first build. (4,000 budget) [merged]

• Please log in to reply

Ryhailey

Ryhailey

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a nice laptop but i need a desktop. Main purpose of this pc is for some video and photos editing. Now I have never built a computer but i have been reading and I think I can figure it out. The main problem I have is finding out part compatibility and what not. Some of the things I really want is for it to be fast (boot time/rendering) so an ssd and i7 would be in line id imagine. and the ability to run 3-4 monitors and alot of internal memory and I would prefer it to be an intel build. My budget is 4,000 usd doesn't mean I need to spend that much but that's as much as I'm willing to spend maybe a little more.

Advertisements

Ryhailey

Ryhailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bump...

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ryhailey Posted Image

Look at this topic and then post back.

http://www.geekstogo...73#entry2069673

Ryhailey

Ryhailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So I want to build a computer and I am curious if it is OK to build it one piece at a time well not necessarily one piece but I'm talking about in a time span of 1-2 months max. Any input would be great. Thanks everyone.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Ryhailey Posted Image

Yes, you can buy and build overtime. The only thing to watch is old, well very old, gear as the major components have to be compatible, if you take too long you may have difficulty in getting a particular part.

Some information from you will help everybody to propose a build for you.

What will be the main use for the computer?

What will be your budge? Be realistic, you cannot build a top end gaming machine for peanuts. Look through some of the resent builds on the forum.

Will you be bringing any parts to the new build, IE. keyboard, mouse etc.?

What type of monitor do you want to use?

Where do you live? This so we can give links to an appropriate site.

c.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
One or two months may not be a problem, but any longer and you risk disappoint by buying Model ABC today, then discover one month later that Model ABC.1 has been updated to ABC.2. There's an old saying in consumer electronics, "What you bring home today will be obsolete tomorrow".

I would suggest you save up your money and buy all at once. This ensures you get the latest versions, but also you may end up saving money in shipping costs as everything can go in one or two big boxes, instead of multiple smaller boxes. Some sites offer free shipping if your total purchase is over a certain amount. Buying piecemeal may not.

Ryhailey

Ryhailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What will be the main use for the computer? Video editing, photo editing, creating graphics, and some gaming.

What will be your budget? Upto 4,000 usd

Will you be bringing any parts to the new build, IE. keyboard, mouse etc.? Yes i just need the computer

What type of monitor do you want to use? I have one hdmi but i want the ability to run up to 4 monitors.

Where do you live? US

Ryhailey

Ryhailey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Also when building a computer price at a time what is the best way to start in your opinion? (case, mobo, processor, ect...)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Merged active topics.