Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power or other Issue with Dell Dim 545

• Please log in to reply

plants99

plants99

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a 2-3 yr old Dell Dimension 545 system with Multiple monitors.I have XP/SP3 and on the whole it works well. Today a USB hub('plug and play' with it's own seperate power supply)I brought over the internet arrived and i was in the process of plugging into the back of the desktop the USB 'down' cable to the hub(after i had connected the seperate power supply to the hub) when... all screens went blank and the system crashed and was left with the power supply fan working only on overtime and at a higher rate/revs than normal. I am unable to restart the computer with everything disconected and the AMBER light is constantly on.On the back panel the green LED is on so there is power in the cord/back of the unit. I removed the cover( after disconnecting) and looked for any signs of disaster but all components look as they should (!) look and the capacitors look OK( long gone are the days of smoldering and burnt transistors/diodes etc that at least tell you your system's screwed)..but then what the heck would i know anyway, let alone what to look for. So I have read the threads on your site and found you very helpful so hope you will forgive me asking for your professional help! The problem is further compounded by the fact i am currently working in France for 14 months and any PC repair here is impossible at a decent price or in a reasonable time. I am not joking when i tell you its 200 euros/ 280 bucks just to take the cover off for an inspection! A friend from the USA who lives part time near me paid 400$ to get a new power unit after a electrical storm burnt his PC out. So using logic and your help i am hoping to arrive at the way forward.ie: Do i buy a new power unit and refit? Is the hard drive damaged? Is the processor and other hardware damaged? Can i repair or shall i buy a new Dell? I have been through the Dell site and knowledge base and all documentation so Any suggestions/information would be really helpful.

Advertisements