Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan Horse Generic destroyed OS files..

• Please log in to reply

Cat5

Cat5

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I was working with Agent ST in the malware forum and it has been concluded that a re-format and re-install of Windows XP is required. Nasty malware! I did not have this computer backed up and I'm wondering if there is ANY WAY to retrieve and back up the data before I do this? Here is the link to the posts about the infection and computer http://www.geekstogo...-horse-generic/ I also need help with how to reformat. I do not have a Windows XP cd, but I do have 2 recovery dvds.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are two ways to go now.
One is to take out the hard drive and place it in an enclosure or docking station and connect it to another computer.
Providing your data is readable you will then be able to recover your personal data to DVD or flash pen.
However DO NOT rely on a flash drive for long term storage.
OR you can of course recover to another HDD, but I would not recommend recovery to a system drive.

The other way is to download Puppy and providing the problem is ONLY the one stopping Windows loading and the data is still readable you can recover from that computer to a flash drive etc.
Here are the instructions for Puppy.
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

In view of the infection I strongly suggest that you recover only your documents, jpegs and audio files.

I suggest you deal with this aspect first and then we can address the reinstall.
Please post details of the Recovery DVDs and the details of your computer by way of make and full model.

Cat5

Cat5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you so much. I will run this and post back with the results and further info.

Cat5

Cat5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It doesn't look like I am going to get a chance to work on the computer until the weekend. I just want to make sure this topic doesn't get closed. Thank you. :-)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We don't close topic in this area even after they have been resolved. When you reply Macboatmaster will receive a email notification and now I will also. Good luck and not a problem waiting for your results. :)

Cat5

Cat5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi there,

I tried to run Puppy, but unfortunately it will not load. It starts loading and goes through the first several items on the list: loading main file, copying to ram etc... and then my monitor reads no signal and goes black. I tried to do it a few times, so I could actually see where it gets hung up. I know it's after loading kernels and something about usb. It goes too quickly for me to catch it. :-( This isn't looking good. I definitely got hit with some nasty malware.

You had asked for info on the make and model of the system. It is a Compaq SR2050NX. The Recovery Dvds were created for me by a family friend a few weeks after I purchased the computer and I really have no more info on them. I was told that if I ever needed to restore my system, I could use them. I have gone through all my discs and I definitely do not have one for XP. I know it came pre-loaded, but do you not usually get a copy of the program in case you need to re-format?

Thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Puppy runs in ram, so if your hardware is good, generally speaking Puppy will load, that does not then mean that the hard drive will be accessible if the data is totally corrupted..
However it does of course require the graphics.

Here are the specifications for that computer
http://h10025.www1.h...product=3245052

It was originally supplied with just the onboard graphics.
If it still has those the monitor will connect on the I/O plate (input/output) near to the mouse keyboard LAN, USB and speakers. etc. If it has an added graphics card the monitor will connect lower down the rear of the case, on a horizontal connection, as against the vertical of the I/O plate
Which is it please.

Additionally to that if you have already connected the USB flash drive, disconnect and also disconnect ALL except keyboard mouse and monitor. In otherwords if you have a USB printer connection, webcam etc disconnect all those.
Try Puppy again.
Also please confirm that you have followed the instructions on the link and are booting to Puppy from the CD and that you have NOT followed the possible instructions on the PUppy download link to boot from USB drive.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 16 October 2011 - 05:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the puppy disk on another system to see if it will load?
The OS should be included with the recovery disks you made. Normally one will be the actual OS, one will be the drivers and or programs. If there is a 3rd disk it will be all the drivers then.