Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unwanted pop-up on booting

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
When I boot my Dell Latitude laptop (with W98SE OS)an “MSN Messinger” screen appears and I have to close it manually. I have gone to Start\Run msconfig\StartUp and unchecked MSN Messinger, then rebooted … but that item keeps reappearing as checked. And the unwanted MSN screen keeps popping up.

How can I eliminate that screen from the boot process? Thanks. …..wdc

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi wdc202 and Welcome to Geeks To Go

I suspect MSN messenger is running as a service. In other words it is in your registry somewhere and that's where I would look. However an easier solution would be to download and use a Start up manager.

I recommend the following
  • StartUp Control Panel Startup Control Panel is a control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. Install this it's easier than Msconfig and try to find MSN messenger stuff in it. Try to disable it here.
  • Use Trillian or GAIM instead of AIM, Yahoo Messenger, and the like. These are free and spyware free. :tazz: Uninstall MSN messenger with Trillian or GAIM you don't need it!!
  • Read our advice Here
    and follow it step by step and post your Hijack This Log here. If you do so we'll be able to see if you have spyware issues and if Startup Control Panel can't get rid of MSN messenger, hijack This most likely will be able to. We can advise you on how to do this.