Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

charge battery w/o power to computer?...don't even know where to g

• Please log in to reply

icanmakethathappen

icanmakethathappen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP pavillion that is no longer functional because the place one plugs the power cord into is broken. To have it repaired costs more than the computer is worth. Makes me kind of crazy to have a computer that would work fine if it had power. I now have another computer, but wonder of there isn't some way I could charge the battery for the Pavillion so I could turn it on and then save the files I would like to keep to a flash drive. Does anybody have any suggestions for me?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,501 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

If it's the data from the hard drive on the old computer you're mostly concerned about, an external hard drive enclosure, or dock would allow you to connect your old hard drive to your new computer.

If you'd rather try and get that old computer working again, instead of throwing it away, repairing the DC power jack is not terribly difficult. You'll need to find a repair manual for your computer that offers advice on removing the motherboard. Then it's just a matter of removing the old power jack, and soldering in a new one. You can generally buy a new power jack on ebay for under $10.

Unless your new computer is the same make and model, the battery will be sized differently, and quite possibly different voltage. Really no way to charge it using your new notebook.