Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Why did a 2004 "Tour Windows XP" program pop Up?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an 8 year old Dell, with Win XP installed originally. Yesterday, right after finish copying many files/folders (approx 1.4 GB) from Documents and Settings to a Cruzer 8 GB flashdrive and closing my "Administrator Access account I logged off that and began to log on to my "Daily User" account. My normal Start screen page had reverted from a custom background picture to a "standard" Dell background picture and my shortcut icons were relocated to far left of screen; also, shortly after the Tour Windows XP tutorial came up. My impression is that the computer acted as though I had just turned it on for the first time and it was giving me the "tour" of XP. Same also, JASC Paint Shop (trial-run) tutorial came up afterwards - again the impression was as though my computer “sensed” it had been turned on for the first time. And I’ve just noticed that two of my most used shortcut icons are missing, e.g. Word, Excel… from the Start page!

It seemed like the computer somehow believed I had turned it on for the first time (i.e., out of the box).

I can't think of anything I did in connection with backing up files procedure.

Any suggestions as to what happened – should I do a System Restore even though all documents appear to be intact.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would check that you are correct when you say that only two shortcuts and your desktop background has changed.
I would check that your pictures, music and documents are still accessible from that account.

Which accounts are now available when you get to the logon screen.

Did you simply log-off that Admin account and it is therefore still available.