Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System recovery lost my licence

• Please log in to reply

Smeadows

Smeadows

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Having come across Geeks to Go while desperately searching the web for help I though they seem to be the forum for me.
I'm running Windows XP on and Aries computer. Due to various running problems I decided to use the built in Non-destructive System Recovery system built in and accessed by F10 on boot up. It goes through the procedure apparently normally and then on reboot it comes up with a message saying:
"A problem has occurred from accurtately checking the status of the licence for the computer. To proceed your copy of Windows must be authorised by microsoft. Do you want to activate windows now?:
I naturally click on "yes" but then get a screen that shows my normal desktop background picture but no toolbars, ikons or a box to enter my product key which I have available. The only way to get out of this is to switch off.

Things I have tried:
Boot in safe mode but this does not allow activation, nor can I use "System Restore" as I get a blank calender with no date to restore to.
I've run chkdsk but this runs but makes no difference.
I thnk the computer must have lost or hidden all the licenses for Word & Excel in safe mode ask for activation.
I understand that you can activate by phone but the number does not seem available unless you log in on the internet which I can't do with my computer. (Evidently you can.t go on the internet in safe mode)
I have the windows disk that came with the computer but I believe if I load that I lose everything. While I have back-up of my documents I assume I will lose all my programmes and though I have copies of the programme files I understand this does not install them. I do have disks for the main programmes but some I have downloaded I have paid for licences and will lose that.

I am grateful for any ideas to get out of this situation and promise never to try the NON-DESTRUCTIVE RECOVERY again.

SMEADOWS

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi Smeadows and :)
These may help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890
Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Smeadows

Smeadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Philpower2 for your response and the two websites for Microsoft info sheets. I have been able to open Windows in safe mode but was unable to either activate windows or restore to a previous setting, is this normal for SaFE MODE?

The sheet on activation could not help as that is what I have been trying to do. How can I get the relevant phone number to activate by phone for my area? My area is in the UK in Abingdon near Oxford.

I am trying chkdsk again as I noticed on another part of the forum that the enquirer was advised to do it repeatedly. Might this help?

With thanks for any ideas

Smeadows

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
http://support.micro...hone?ws=support see the Product Activation Issues option.

Smeadows

Smeadows

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your persistence with me. I tried that website and it was concerned with activating Microsoft office. HOWEVER while dabbling around in that area I came across Microsoft Windows forum and found someone who was having exactly the same problem as me as described below:

[Windows XP is stuck in a loop saying that it needs to be activated. I never get the wizard nor does it ever activate.
Applies To: Windows | Windows XP | Install, Upgrade and Activate
Activation issue
I had to "repair" an WinXP installation. Now I am stuck in a loop saying that it needs to be activated. I never get the wizard nor does it ever activate. What do I do?October 1, 2011.]

Like myself he had tried various approaches and was given various suggestions to try but eventually he was given the following advice

[Hi ,
Try booting to boot into safe mode and log in with an Administrator account. Once you are on desktop in safe mode launch command prompt and type this command:-
Steps:- Start --> run --> cmd press Enter.
Type:- rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk
Reboot the computer and it should let you boot to normal desktop.
Then goto Start --> run & press Enter.
Type:- oobe/msoobe /a
and then try to activate the windows either online or via phone activation.
(*give the spaces required as mentioned in cmd)[/font]Hope it will help You.....]

IT DID and was able to boot in to my normal home page, I'm not sure if I do need to reactivate Windows but I'm sure it will prompt me if I do. There is a problem with Internet Explorer, I seem to be able to access web pages but not control them from my mouse, I'm sure I will overcome this in time. the link seems OK and all my backlog of e-mails have downloaded.

I quote all this because if two people experienced this particular problem with Windows XP there must be amny more
Anyway I am satisfied that I can get into my computer at last. Many thanks for your time

Smeadows

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi Smeadows
Thank you for both the update on your topic and for providing the detailed solution to the issue so that it may help others in the future, the true spirit of forums :)