Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNSChanger!fa; Generic.dx!bgg;FakeAlert-WinWebSec!env.g

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Tallamo

Tallamo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

I need help, my antivirus programm keeps finding Trojans : DNSChanger!fa and Generic.dx!bgg and FakeAlert-WinWebSec!env.g

Especially regarding the DNSChanger!fa (C:Windows/assembly/tmp/U 80000032.$ ) is found (and "deleted") every few minutes.

I tried a lot now but I just can't get rid of it.

The trojans are also blocking my firewall.

It would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks and regards

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

My secret agent name on the forums is SweetTech (you can call me Agent ST for short), it's a pleasure to meet you. :yes:

I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems.

If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed.

If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then follow instructions as outlined further below:

• Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forums.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • In Windows Vista and Windows 7, all tools need to be started by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator!
  • If I instruct you to download a specific tool in which you already have, please delete the copy that you have and re-download the tool. The reason I ask you to do this is because these tools are updated fairly regularly.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
  • I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. From this point, we're in this together :)
    Because of this, you must reply within three days
    failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to resort to reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.

Scanning with GMER

Before scanning, make sure all other running programs are closed and no other actions like a scheduled antivirus scan will occur while the scan is being performed. Do not use your computer for anything else during the scan.

Posted Image
Download GMER Rootkit Scanner from here or here.
  • Extract the contents of the zipped file to desktop.
  • Double click GMER.exe. If asked to allow gmer.sys driver to load, please consent .
  • If it gives you a warning about rootkit activity and asks if you want to run scan...click on NO.

Posted Image
    Click the image to enlarge it
  • In the right panel, you will see several boxes that have been checked. Uncheck the following ...
    • IAT/EAT
    • Drives/Partition other than Systemdrive (typically C:\)
    • Show All (don't miss this one)
  • Then click the Scan button & wait for it to finish.
  • Once done click on the [Save..] button, and in the File name area, type in "Gmer.txt" or it will save as a .log file which cannot be uploaded to your post.
  • Save it where you can easily find it, such as your desktop, and attach it in your reply.

Notes:
**Caution**
Rootkit scans often produce false positives. Do NOT take any action on any "<--- ROOKIT" entries

-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in safe mode.
-- If GMER crashes or keeps resulting in a BSODs, uncheck Devices on the right side before scanning

NEXT:

Running OTL

We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized

Tallamo

Tallamo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately my system/windows stopped working yesterday thats why I am late with my reply.

I had to install windows again and I think I got rid of the Trojans. (hopefully)I still keep watching it and if I find another one I will contact you again.

Thanks and regards

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Hi!

Okay, thanks for that information.

This is what I usually provide to my users once they are clean:

All Clean Speech

===> Make sure you've re-enabled any Security Programs that we may have disabled during the malware removal process. <===

Below I have included a number of recommendations for how to protect your computer against malware infections.

Updated Anti-Virus Program
It's essential that you have an updated anti-virus program running on your computer. You don't want to run more than one as it can cause program conflicts, as well as false positives

You can view an excellent list of Free Security Software programs that has been compiled by GeekstoGo.

Avoid P2P Programs

Remember that no matter how clean the program you're using for peer-to-peer filesharing may be, it offers no guarantees regarding the cleanliness of files you may choose to download. All files available via p2p filesharing carry a high risk, particularly those that offer you illegitimate methods of using legitimate software programs without paying for them. Some further readings on this subject, along the included links, are as follows: File-Sharing, otherwise known as Peer To Peer and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

If you have any of these programs installed then I highly suggest you uninstall them.

NOTE: Take care when answering any questions posed by an uninstaller. Some questions may be worded to deceive you into keeping the program.

Internet Browsers

Many of the users that I assist here on the forums, ask me which programs they can use to prevent themselves from getting infected again in the future. The best answer I can give you is too practice safe browsing.

Please consider using an alternative browser such as Google Chrome or Opera. They are both much more secure than Internet Explorer, immune to almost all known browser hijackers, and also have great built-in pop-up blockers.

I also suggest you make your Internet Explore more secure.

Make Internet Explorer more secure

• Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Extra Goodies

• It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article
    Strong passwords: How to create and use them
    then consider a password keeper, to keep all your passwords safe.
  • Keep Windows updated by regularly checking their website at: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer.
  • You should run an updated scan with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware weekly. Instructions are included below:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Select the Update tab
    • Click Check for Updates

• Be weary of e-mails from unknown senders. Keep the following in mind as well: If it's to good to be true, then it more than likely is.

• FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated. Its important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.
  • WOT, Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites, helping you avoid the dangerous sites:
    • Green to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop
    WOT has an addon available for Chrome and Opera.
  • Keep a backup of your important files - Now, more than ever, it's especially important to protect your digital files and memories. This article is full of good information on alternatives for home backup solutions.
  • In light of your recent issue, I'm sure you'd like to avoid any future infections. Please take a look at these well written articles:
    Think Prevention.
    PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?.
**Be very wary with any security software that is advertised in popups or in other ways. They are not only usually of no use, but often have malware in them.

Thank you for your patience, and performing all of the procedures requested.

Please respond one last time so we can consider the thread resolved and close it, thank-you.

Cheers,
SweetTech.

Tallamo

Tallamo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much.

I think I have no problem anymore and my antivirus programme is working.

I will keep in mind the tipps you just gave me.

Thanks and regards

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.