Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Manual Registry Cleaning

• Please log in to reply

Dnomeld

Dnomeld

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. I am new here. I have read many posts and see that there is a lot of help here. That being said, I am going to edit my registry. Everywhere that I have gone, thus far, has only resulted in finger and head shaking from those who answered - but no answers.

I have a small arsenal of programs and saved web pages with all kinds of advice and warnings. So, as far as that is concerned, I am done. The only piece that I am missing, and asking for, is where are the OS entries? I want to avoid these completely. I do have a prog. that identifies the reg. entries of the updates and hot fixes, but not the OS. Can you or a program tell me this or how I can identify them? Please, I have been warned enough. Please, just the answer. If there is not one, then that is an answer also. But, no one has said this, so I continue my search here. I have XP sp3, fully updated. Thank you.

Edited by Dnomeld, 11 October 2011 - 04:47 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There is ONLY one answer that can be given.

Regedit should ONLY be used by someone who knows the registry inside out and back to front.

Please do NOT be offended, but your post indicates that you DO NOT, otherwise you would not be asking the question

where are the OS entries

May I pose another question to you.
WHY DO YOU WANT TO EDIT THE REGISTRY?
The ONLY time the registry needs YOUR attention is when something has corrupted a registry key.
OR added a wrong value to the key.
OR a key has been deleted.

Normally all of these circumstances can be attributed to
1. Malware
2. Registry cleaners

If your system is working perfectly, there is absolutely no need to interfere with the registry. Even if you have unused registry keys, it makes absolutely no difference to the performance of windows and any attempt to defrag the registry, having removed the unused keys, will achieve exactly the opposite of what these so called registry optimizers would have you believe.

I appreciate fully that you said

I have been warned enough. Please, just the answer

However the essence of my post is likely to be the only opinion you will be given from GeekstoGo.
I do not mean that no one else will reply.
I would be amazed if you received different advice.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 11 October 2011 - 06:09 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
well said MAC

what is it your trying to fix...
because if its not broke don't fix it

Dnomeld

Dnomeld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks fellas. It's out there somewhere.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you answer happyrock

what is it your trying to fix...

maybe we can assist further.