Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus! From rogue virus alert impersonating Windows

• Please log in to reply

melody66

melody66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a virus, I have windows vista 64 bit. It is very persistent several different anti virus programs have found and claimed to remove it, but it's still not gone. It started out by redirecting and disabling my firewall and anti virus software, I got a rather nice firewall called zone alarm that took care of this problem. I had also gotten my AV programs running again. I was temporarily able to go online had a somewhat alarming number of blocked malicious connect attempts(outgoing?) alerts from malware bytes, but they were always successfully blocked. The state of things then deteriorated and now I cannot go online for more then a few minutes if at all. These are the viruses/malware that have been discovered via various programs:

avast: (boot scan): win\software/distribution\download- infected malwaregen
windows\assembly\temp embedded malware
also:cab archive corrupted
spybot: win32avkillsvc.e- trojan c-04

Also one of the anti virus programs I downloaded specifically for this problem (highly rated from cnet), reported it couldn't access windows host subdirectory?, and this could mean that a virus was hiding at that location. I have followed many advice/ solutions from others with this problem and I still can't get rid of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Melody-

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Your virus is quite dangerous. It's also able to disable your antivirus (as said by spybot "avkillsvc").

Edited by rshaffer61, 12 October 2011 - 07:06 AM.
Removal of Malware Advice

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sadman1996 malware advice is only allowed in the malware forum and even then by trained Malware staff. If you would like to help fight malware please feel free to apply at GeekU HERE.

muhib1996

muhib1996

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Sadman1996 malware advice is only allowed in the malware forum and even then by trained Malware staff. If you would like to help fight malware please feel free to apply at GeekU HERE.

But the main thing is, the user posted this kind of topic in 'Operating System' topic, isn't it? So I replied because I knew how to do this. If the user posted this topic in 'Malware and Virus Removal Section', then I would never reply. So, it's not the fact.

jugernautt

jugernautt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi melody66,

If I get a virus I just use one of my disc image backups to restore my computer. Data backup software has whats called continious data protection technology which runs in the background constantly backing up your files, so if disaster strikes like a virus you can restore your system. Take it from someone who knows, hunting down a virus is a painful process and sometimes you never succeed and are just left with reinstalling the operating system. In fact, if you got one virus there are chances you've got two or three, so you might disinfect one virus problem but a hidden keylogger or something else could be running in the background. The best method to handling a virus problem, and making sure no nasties are in the PC, is too either reinstall the operating system. But a better solution would be to revert back to a working disc image backup. If you've never used data backup software before then take the time to check it out, that is after you fix your virus problem. I would personally suggest Norton Ghost, but sites like findthereview, toptenreviews, cnet, etc are a good resource to finding out what is the best backup software.

Anyway, good luck. I feel my backup and recovery approach is the pain free way to fixing your problem, well at least in the future. Good luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

But the main thing is, the user posted this kind of topic in 'Operating System' topic, isn't it? So I replied because I knew how to do this. If the user posted this topic in 'Malware and Virus Removal Section', then I would never reply. So, it's not the fact.

Regardless of the forum it is posted in the TOU state only qualified Malware techs can give malware advice and even then only in the Malware forum. It is that way to protect everyone. Besides my post superceeded yours and you can see I already instructed Melody66 to post in the correct forum so no further assistance is given once that has been stated.

As for Melody66 my original post still stands.