Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overheating issues

• Please log in to reply

harley31169

harley31169

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have gateway m 1631u, 4 gig DDR2, dual core, win 7 os. Having probably with over heating. Fan doesn't kick on till around 65 c, and even then it acts funny, on off on off on off, and when it's on it's at low rpm. Used cpu z to find mother board name to try and use speed fan to adjust fan but with no luck. A friend has the exact same laptop with exact same problem. After bout ten min of use it gets hot and shuts down. If you can answer that would be great, but either way would ya mind telling me how to post. Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

harley31169

harley31169

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
IHave tried speed fan. Not at home now to try but am not able to locate mother board that cpu z says that my computer has. So the fan rpm all read 0. It seems to be giving the readings on everything but fans.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How old is the system and is there a warranty still on it? It may be a inherit problem with that model and I would contact the store you bought it from to see if they can help.
If not then contact Gateway and find out if there has been a history of this problem and they may fix it for free.
I would say the issue is with the fans not cooling correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.