Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I think the problem is disk space.
Lets try the following.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Advertisements

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks for your help so far.

I've run these two programs and they've certainly helped clear a bit of space, but when it comes to defragging, I get a message saying there isn't enough disc space to compete the process properly.

Now, I know that this might just be coincidnce, but I'm slightly concerned that this disc-space issue has only come about since I begun to update the drivers.

Also - and this could be quite separate - my Microsoft Secuiity Essentials has disappeared, both from the system tray and from my Start menu list of programs.

As I say, I appreciate that these might be coincidences, but is it possible there's a wider issue here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This next step won't require any programs to be downloaded to your computer since it is a internal command for the OS.
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Here you are.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• paint.JPG

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
And now, although I've done nothing at all, it's suddenly found a little more space (although not a lot!).

Attached Thumbnails

• paint.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is a huge problem and most likely the reason for all this.
You don't have enough free space to allow your OS to run correctly. Minimum should be 12-15 percent and usually anything under 10% will cause the MBR to become corrupt and the system not to boot at all.

First order of business is to free up about 4-7 gigs of drive space. Music, Pictures, Videos, Movies....anything like that should be moved to a external drive or copied to cd's and deleted from the drive.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
OK - thanks for this.

I'll transfer a load of stuff on to an external drive and then continue the process of updating the drivers.

Thanks - and I'll let you know how I get on.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great and I'll wait for your next update. :)

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi - I'm still updating my drivers (two a day!).

I've got a couple more days left until I've completed the driver updates, but in the meantime I was wondering about a couple of things.

1) When I install new drivers, do I need to uninstall the old ones? Or they are dealt with automatically?

2) I've attached a screengrab of my MSconfig start-up list. As I install new drivers, the start-up list gets longer, and now the laptop takes a long time to boot. Are there any of these items that I can disable at start-up? I think I can probably disable the Apple and Adobe entries, but what about the others? What about the nwiz or Motorola entries?

Thanks in advance, as ever.

Attached Thumbnails

• paint.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

1) When I install new drivers, do I need to uninstall the old ones? Or they are dealt with automatically?

The old one is normally disabled or uninstalled.

2) I've attached a screengrab of my MSconfig start-up list. As I install new drivers, the start-up list gets longer, and now the laptop takes a long time to boot. Are there any of these items that I can disable at start-up? I think I can probably disable the Apple and Adobe entries, but what about the others? What about the nwiz or Motorola entries?

Once all the updates are done then we will go through the startups and autoruns to slim down the startup time again.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
See that watchdog entry?
Unclick it please.

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Done it.

Thanks.

Back in a couple of days!

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi - all the drivers are updated now, and the computer seems to be running just fine.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope now in a day or two please update me how the system is running and if there are no more BSOD's then we will consider this issue resolved. :)

Canary

Canary

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
That's great - thanks!

Just one other thing - the start-up is now quite slow, so is there anything I can disable from this list?

Attached Thumbnails

• paint.JPG