Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't disable Avira nag

• Please log in to reply

PaulC78

PaulC78

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi folks, I've installed Avira Free Antivirus on a new laptop (OS is Windows 7 64bit) and I'm having trouble getting rid of the nag screen pop-up. I've tried following the instructions here but when I try to apply the change I get the message "Unable to save permission changes to avnotify. Access is denied."

Can anyone tell me how to get around this, or show me another way of disabling the nag? Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PaulC78,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Those are the instructions to get rid of the nag screen. Getting rid of the "splash screen" is a bit more tedious and you may have to go to the registry to do so. That's why I changed from Avira to MSE one one of my machines.

Give me a moment and I'll see if I can find and easier way than to edit the registry key.

Thank you.

Donna :yes:

Edited by DonnaB, 12 October 2011 - 05:40 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
PaulC78,

I have discussed this with one of the instructors here as it has been quite sometime since I have uninstalled Avira from my computer. He has done so as well due to the nag screen that is there by design. In his words (and I agree), "I think the proper course of action, instead of trying to subvert something that is there by design, is to recommend another AV." The other alternative may be to back up your registry and change the value that was placed there during the install that makes the screen pop up.

Other AV's that I use and have faith in are MicroSoft Security Essentials (MSE) and Avast. If you need educated info on those AV's I'd be more then happy to provide some.

Let me know what you decide.

Donna :)

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the reply! A few quick questions before I call it a night: Won't I have the same nag problem with Avast? How does MSE compare against the pre-installed Windows Defender?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
No Sir. You will not have the same nag problem with Avast nor MSE.

Avast does not include Spyware protection so Windows Defender will have to be enabled. Avast also includes a special security feature called AutoSandbox which can be disabled within the Avast control panel.

MSE by default should disable Windows Defender because MSE does protect against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software, though I always double check to make sure it has been disabled.

MSE is lighter on resources compared to Avast. Take some time to read about Avast's AutoSandbox and MSE. My personal opinion, I think you would like MSE.

Either way that you decide to go, there is a special tool that is needed to uninstall Avira to ensure that all residual files have been removed from the system to prevent conflict with the AV that you do decide to install.

Let me know what you decide and I'll post just how to proceed with this task the proper way so you are not left unprotected while uninstalling and reinstalling the new AV of choice.

I do have to work in the a.m. which will give you time to review and decide what you'd like to do. We can then finalize your switch there after if you'd like.

Edited by DonnaB, 13 October 2011 - 05:50 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PaulC78,

There is one more task we may need to tend to as we complete this process. In your first post you mentioned new laptop. Every new computer comes with a trial version of an AV, usually Norton or McAfee. They also have special removal tools as well and I'll need to know which of those AV's came preinstalled as the trial version so we can use the special removal tool to ensure all the residual files are removed from that AV also to prevent conflict.

Donna

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi DonnaB, thanks for all the help and info! I think MSE looks like the best option, so I'll go with that. My laptop originally came with McAfee though there shouldn't be anything left. If relevant my firewall is ZoneAlarm and I'm also using SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PaulC78,

Sorry for the delay. Just wanted to verify something about SpywareGaurd for you before we proceeded here and the results are:

SpywareGuard does run in realtime. MSE has spyware protection included and it runs in realtime as well. You should never have more than one security product installed on the PC providing realtime protection/scanning. This can cause performance issues, system instability, and can hinder the effectiveness of both products at providing protection. I would suggest uninstalling SpywareGuard since MSE has that realtime protection provided.

Also, if you uninstalled McAfee through your Programs and Features, residual files may be left behind and I would still run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool to ensure that all residual files are removed to prevent conflict. Running the tool will cause no harm and could be beneficial as a precautionary measure.

You can download the tool from >>>here.

The link to click for the download looks similar to this--> Posted Image

With that said, let's begin to get you organized here with a new AV. Please follow the instructions below:

Download MSE to your desktop from here. Do not install just yet! <<<Very Important

Download and install the AVIRA Removal Tool from here.

Do not run it just yet!

Next:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features then right click on Avira and choose uninstall.

Now run the AVIRA Removal Tool that was downloaded to your desktop.

Once complete, go back to the MSE file we saved to your desktop and install MSE. Make sure to update the program once installed. If you are presented with the choice for a "custom install" please check the box provided.

Read each dialogue box thoroughly when you install anything. Things change so quickly and I want you to make sure there are no prechecked boxes that will install undesirables such as toolbars, etc. I've never come across this with MSE though.

Let me know how it goes. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to ask.

Note: You will need to be logged in on an Administrative Acct. to accomplish the above tasks.

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
All done, so thanks for that! Two follow up questions:

1) When I uninstalled SpywareGuard I was told that some files would have to be removed manually. Presumably I just need to delete the SpywareGuard folder in Program Files (x86)?

2) The Avira removal tool seemed to be checking for malware rather than removing any residual files. Is this correct?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PaulC78,

1.) Yes. You should look to see if the folder is still there and delete it. Also, to make sure that SpywareGuard is completely removed click on your Taskbar > Processes and look for the following if you have trouble getting rid of the folder:

• sgmain.exe
  • sgbhp.exe
  • sgliveupdate.exe

If you see them click on them then click End Process

Then go to your Programs and Features to uninstall if the program is still there.

You could also verify by removing the folder in C: > Programs Files > SpywareGuard

2.) I downloaded the tool as well just to see what you are seeing and you're right, seems it is "searching" for malware rather than removing the program. Look in Program and Features and see if the program is still there. Right click and remove/uninstall if it is. Then reboot.

Let me know. Many have had trouble getting rid of this program.

Edited by DonnaB, 15 October 2011 - 04:25 PM.

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi DonnaB, I've removed the SpywareGuard folder and as far as I can tell both it and Avira are completely gone.

I've had a look online and found Avira RegistryCleaner - is this something I should download and run?

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi PaulC78,

There's no need for Avira Registry Cleaner or any registry cleaner for that matter. It is advisable not to use any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed. Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix. Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

I've removed the SpywareGuard folder and as far as I can tell both it and Avira are completely gone.

You should be good to go then! If you have any concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Happy and safe surfing! :)

PaulC78

PaulC78

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
OK, thanks again for all the help DonnaB, I do appreciate it. :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're very welcome. It was my pleasure PaulC.

Till next time.

Have a great day!

:)

ttoomm

ttoomm

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi folks, I've installed Avira Free Antivirus on a new laptop (OS is Windows 7 64bit) and I'm having trouble getting rid of the nag screen pop-up. I've tried following the instructions here but when I try to apply the change I get the message "Unable to save permission changes to avnotify. Access is denied."

Can anyone tell me how to get around this, or show me another way of disabling the nag? Thanks in advance for any help!

This thread is almost humorous. The guy asks how to do something and gets talked into changing software programs instead.

SOLUTION: Boot into safe mode and then change the permissions.

Edited by ttoomm, 15 November 2011 - 12:38 PM.