Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO signal issue

• Please log in to reply

l3th4l

l3th4l

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello there, got into a tricky situation. everytime i try to boot my pc, pc powers up but monitor gets no signal. surfed the internet for this issue for at least 2h yesterday, tried the 30s trick, rebuilt the whole pc and so on, but nothing helped. pc specs: athlon xp 2800, 1.7gb ram ddr1 (tried 3 different ram sticks), agp gpu (tried 2gpus, hd 3650 radeon and gf 5500fx), tried 2 mobos as well(my old one and a new one i bought yesterday, thought mobo was the issue paid 20pouds for nothing...) 420w psu [bleep] brand, but i got it like 5 months ago... i even tried another monitor. pc was acting funny for past 2 months already, random freezes at random times. i actually managed to get it working twice yesterday, but needed to format hdd and cmos had a password so had to reset it by taking out the batterie, after that it didnt work again. the fans start to spin, lights start to shine, but no signal on monitor. sorry for grammar mistakes im on my phone. thanks in advance.

Advertisements

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
BUMPBUMPBUMP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello there, got into a tricky situation. everytime i try to boot my pc, pc powers up but monitor gets no signal. surfed the internet for this issue for at least 2h yesterday, tried the 30s trick, rebuilt the whole pc and so on, but nothing helped. pc specs: athlon xp 2800, 1.7gb ram ddr1 (tried 3 different ram sticks), agp gpu (tried 2gpus, hd 3650 radeon and gf 5500fx), tried 2 mobos as well(my old one and a new one i bought yesterday, thought mobo was the issue paid 20pouds for nothing...) 420w psu [bleep] brand, but i got it like 5 months ago... i even tried another monitor. pc was acting funny for past 2 months already, random freezes at random times. i actually managed to get it working twice yesterday, but needed to format hdd and cmos had a password so had to reset it by taking out the batterie, after that it didnt work again. the fans start to spin, lights start to shine, but no signal on monitor. sorry for grammar mistakes im on my phone. thanks in advance.

BUMPBUMPBUMP

Sorry for the delay in coming to your assistance :)

420w psu [bleep] brand

Try another PSU preferably a known good one that has an equal or greater output than the present PSU.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
tried another psu as well, same issue.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Another thing i have discovered today is that when i use my new matx mobo, when i try to turn on the pc, mouse laser light only flickers and then disappears, if i use my old ATX mobo, the mouse light is always on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The common denominator here is the processor itself so unfortunately it may be bad.
Do you have another CMOS battery that you can try, you should also try moving the jumper cap to clear the CMOS, this does exactly the same thing as removing the battery but all options need to be checked out.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
No cmos jumper on new matx board, tried another battery. Sigh, i better start looking for a new cpu.. Thanks for the help. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

NB: Only a Tech with the correct equipment can test a CPU but one simple test that you can do but only as a last resort is to power up the MB when you do the barebones set-up, allow it to run for a few moments, power down, remove the power cord, quickly remove the heatsink + fan and feel the top of the CPU, if it is hot then it may be ok but if it is cold it may be bad, this is not conclusive as it could still be a problem with the 12V ATX supply.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Tried bareboning, same result, nothing on monitor. Did the cpu test after running the pc for few minutes, took around 5 secs to get to cpu, it was cold when i touched it, well not cold, but around same heat any part of mb is. So i guess cpu is the issue. Thanks for all the help mate.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome I am just sorry we could not resolve the issue, can I ask was the replacement MB from a good source and sold as in working order.

Advertisements

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
It was bought on ebay, not by me, by my cousin, just told him to buy a socket 462 mb. It cost 20 pounds, from a trusty seller.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please post the brand, model name and any revision number for the MB so I do some research on it.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Don't have much info since pc doesn't boot, but here's what i got : a7s8x-mx (next to ram slots) and also says ASUS next to pci slots. Oh and the chip on bottom right says SiS 964. Hope that's enough.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok thanks, your MB specs http://dlcdnet.asus....66_a7s8x-mx.pdf show that there is an onboard video chip, whilst the PC is powered off remove the add on video card, connect your screen to the MBs VGA port then reboot, post back with the results.

NB:[

No cmatx boardmos jumper on new

See page 28 of the user manual, the MB does have jumpers so make sure that the cap is on pins 1 and 2.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Tried the integrated gpu, same result again with 2 psus. And all jumpers i can find that look like cmos jumpers are on pin 1 and 2. Cant open .pdf files with this phone but found another site for mb specs. :)