Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hotmail account blocked, Windows Live will not accept existing passwor

• Please log in to reply

PDS3-0

PDS3-0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My hotmail account was hacked into and used to send out spam. I changed the password on the same day. This morning I log in and see a display saying that the account has been blocked, and instructions on how to restore it. I receive a code via cell phone, enter it, and Windows asks me to change the password. But it does not recognize the old one as valid (the same password I logged in with to be told the account is blocked). Unfortunately, I don't remember enough details about my account (e.g. answer to security question) to retrieve it that way. But why would Windows refuse to accept a valid password, the same one I used to log in? I tried the one I used before changing it, and that doesn't work either.

Advertisements

DrMaat

DrMaat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Same issue except Windows Live just won't let me in to reset password or recover account. Had not used lately--had no computer access for a while. I know the Security answers if I can ever get to that screen.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,952 posts
Hi PDS3-0 and DrMaat,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Please note that Hackers frequently target email accounts because from there they can obtain passwords to other more important accounts such as internet banking. Often, the same password is used for multiple online accounts. I always suggest the you go to a known "clean" computer to change your passwords once this occurs. If you do any online banking or other type financial transactions I would contact your bank and credit card companies and notify them of this occurrence.

Please read the following links below:

Account Compromise - Unauthorized Account Access

Reset your password

Also, might I suggest that you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE and follow Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum to ensure there is no malware on your computer.

Good luck!

Donna :yes: