Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple devices in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I have 31 instances of my wireless adapter (Linksys WMP300N) in device manager. If I uninstall them all, on next reboot they are all installed again! I deleted two and disabled the rest. Upon reboot, the 2 I uninstalled were installed again. Sometimes it's installed as a network controller or a wireless adapter. In my network connections window, they are shown as local area connections (disabled). When I show hidden devices in dev mgr, all the disabled ones also have 2 more entries - wireless adapter #13 avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport and wireless adapter #13 Packet Scheduler Miniport. Each disabled entry has these two entries.

Edited by galec, 13 October 2011 - 02:37 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Hi galec
Rather strange issue I must admit but hopefully we can resolve it and quickly.
Try downloading the latest drivers http://homesupport.c...ess/lbc/WMP300N save them to your desktop, uninstall all of the present software, shut down the computer normally and disconnect the power cord from the wall, remove the add on card, reassemble the computer, reboot and ensure that there is no evidence of the original software, if it is clear install the drivers that you saved to your desktop, once done again shut down normally, disconnect the power cord, replace the add on card securely, reassemble, reboot and complete the installation as instructed on screen.

NB: Be sure to observe anti static precautions when working inside the case, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I thought doing this would solve the problem but wanted to get advice first. But should I install the updated drivers before I reinsert the card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts

I thought doing this would solve the problem but wanted to get advice first. But should I install the updated drivers before I reinsert the card?

Yes but only after ensuring that all previous Linksys software has been removed first, please do exactly as described in post #2 because if there are remnants of the previous install remaining you may end up back at square one.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
ok will do. Will try it later tonight or Mon. Will let you know what happens. Thanks.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Seems ok now. Took a while. I also tried deleting all the hidden instances of the card but they would not delete. I had the Linksys software for the card installed and once I uninstalled that ALL the devices were gone from devmgr. I could not install the updated driver for the card before putting the card back in. Upon reboot, it wanted to install the card as a network controller, would not see it as the Linksys card. It could not find the driver, froze. I rebooted twice after uninstalling the network controller that would not install. So I figured I'd use the Linksys driver from the install disc. AHH, DVD drive would not read the CD. So put the CD in laptop, copied to flash drive and was able to install the Linksys driver from there. PHEW, all this in between working and running errands. The updated driver was a zip file and tried to update it through devmgr, but it said it couldn't find a better match even directing it to the unzipped folder. The driver that I downloaded from Linksys is a different version number than the one that shows in devmgr. Nothing's ever simple, thankfully I have patience... and a wine headache from last night :) . Thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Thanks for the detailed update it may help others with a similar issue, anyhow glad you got it sorted :)