Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get server to work on internet

• Please log in to reply

coolhuh

coolhuh

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I have Microsoft server 2003 and DSL wireless internet. I cannot get the internet on my server but can on the other computers on the network. When I try to connect with my server it says I need to set up internet and email. We recently set up the network. It asks for the DNS address??? Where do I find this. Can someone please walk me through how to do this so my internet will work on my server.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What do you mean by DSL Wireless? Wireless network in your home from the wireless router I am assuming? Now do you have a Workgroup or a Domain setup? Meaning is the server a Domain Controller or just a file server that you have setup linked to the router just like the rest of the computers. Please elaborate and we can help you better.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

coolhuh

coolhuh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a wireless DSL router for a small business. It is setup as a domain. When I try to configure the internet and email, I am not for sure what to put in for the web server certification. When it is configuring the email and internet it fails the firewall part but does not give any explanation.

My main objective is to allow someone to gain access with PC Anywhere. The firewall, I think is blocking access. I can use it going out but can not be the host and i need to be the host.

Thanks

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

When I try to configure the internet and email, I am not for sure what to put in for the web server certification.

The web server certificate is a security certificate. You have to have one if you plan on the clients to connect using https:// . In order to get the certificate, you need to install the certificate authority OR purchase a certificate from a certificate authority. If the users that you want to connect understand that they need to accept the certificate, you really have no need in purchasing one. It's just to show that it is a secure web page, if it's a major page, the certificate is purchased from a major certificate authority.

Now, as for the PC Anywhere, make sure ports 5631 and 5632 are open both with TCP and UDP. Depending on what kind of firewall you are running, you will use different methods to do so. What kind of firewall are you running?? Is it the Windows Firewall you are referring to?? Or something like a Cisco PIX? Or even a Linux machine running iptables? Or just the plain old PAT in a Linksys or Dlink router?

Greazy Mcgeezy

coolhuh

coolhuh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running the windows firewall that came with windows server 2003. How do I make sure the TCP and UDP ports are set up correctly?

Thanks

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
For starters, get yourself a real firewall. But since you probably don't want to spend money on purchasing one or setting up another computer to serve as one, (which is highly recommended), you could download a program such as ZoneAlarm. There should be documentation on that site that will teach you how to go about opening ports when using ZoneAlarm. Use that info to open up TCP and UDP ports 5631 and 5632.

Greazy Mcgeezy