Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer crashes to blue screen, multiple errors and tests

• Please log in to reply

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello

I am having an issue with my PC crashing to the blue screen.I have been having this problem for the past 3 days and I need to solve this problem because it is effecting my school work.I did some research online and I have tried some tests to try and figure out what hardware may be damaged or bad.

First my system details:

Operating system: Windows XP pro Service pack 3
2 x 2gig sticks of ram (4 gig)
Nvidia 8800 gt video card
Intel core 2 quad CPU
Q6600 @ 2.40 ghz

So I first started to notice the issues when I tried to run my usual programs for school.I also noticed that any kind of streaming video crashes my pc ( which isn't good as I have videos to watch for class). At first it locks up and sometimes stutters then it freezes and crashes to blue screen.I have had these following errors come up

Atapi.sys
Stop: 0x000000f4
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Recently the atapi.sys and Kernel error has not been coming up but the stop error has every single time and continues to show up.I thought it might be my ram from what I was reading. I downloaded the recommended Memtest.iso from memtest86.com and burned and ran it when the computer booted up.I ran it three times once for each of the sticks and one with them both plugged in and each time no errors or problems arised.I also tried one that runs when Windows is running and although it can't scan the entire memory I tried it and it crashed during this test.

After I thought it might be my hard drive. I ran chkdsk as administrator and did the whole process and it returned no problems after a very long run.Lastly for the video card I wasn't sure how to test it so I ran some stress tests to see if it would be able to hold out and it never crashed once and made it through them all.I have also run virus scanner Mal-ware bytes and nothing has been found.

I am really out of answers I just have no idea what it can be and looking some of the errors online the answers are so complicated and some are conflicting it really is hard for someone who doesn't know how to figure it all out.That is why I am asking for some help here I really need to figure this out I have papers due in a few days and this is taking up my time for those as I cannot run my PC long before it is crashing.

Thank you in advance for the help I am at my PC most of the day studying so if you need anymore information please let me know I'll gladly provide it.

Justin

Edited by Justinr123, 13 October 2011 - 10:13 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Justinr123.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the help here is the requested information

I have a custom built PC.It was put together by a professional I just purchased parts individually.

Motherboard:
Board: BIOSTAR Group G31-M7 TE
Bus Clock: 267 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080014 04/10/2009

Total Memory:
3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty

Hard Drive
320.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
54.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Total steps I have taken so far are

-Run Memtest on both of my ram sticks seperately and together = No errors found
-Run CHKDSK under administrator = No errors found
-Run stress test on my videocard = No crashes was able to handle it
-Run Malware bytes = No errors or viruses found

WhoCrashed report

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 3220418560 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2041786368

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

Let me know if you need anymore info I am currently around and downloading the and running the hard drive diagnostic.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK WhoCrashed shows no info at all so we'll move on to the next log I need.

Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey rshaffer61 I ran BlueScreenView and it returned no results
Posted Image

Edited by Justinr123, 14 October 2011 - 11:21 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is confusing because it crashes to a BSOD but no record of any in your logs.
id you run the hard drive diagnostics I requested in post 2 yet?
Also would you provide the following.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ran the diagnostic tool for Seagate and created a bootable disc from that.Below is my screenshot for speedfan.EDIT*8 I think I ran the wrong diagnostic tool I am running the other one right now

Posted Image

Edited by Justinr123, 14 October 2011 - 11:37 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see some cooling issues for sure.
When was the last time you opened the system and using a can of compressed air blew out the system?
Pay close attention to the fans and do not let them turn freely while blowing air through them as this will damage the bearings in the fan.
Also make sure there is nothing obstructing air flow and that the fans turn freely when you push the fins.
If the fins feel tight or don't turn it is most likely a failing fan.

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I use a can of air about every two weeks I recently used canned air about a week ago.I always unplug the pc completely when I do this so the inside of my pc and fans are all clean.Besides the basic fan that comes I have an additional fan as well.I just ran the hard drive diagnostic tool and it says it has passed.

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys I tried to chkdsk and it failed and messed upy computer.I could not even get to the windows logo.luckily I burnt everything and backed up.I did a reformat it was the only option I had.I tried recovery options fist but no go.after the reformat I can mo longer save anything and it keeps saying hardware failure and that places on the hard drive don't exist leading me to believe I obviously need a new hard drive and that is the culprit.thank you for all the help I greatly appreciate it and your time.sorry for the wall of text I'm writing this on iPhone.thanks again I appreciate it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It looks like chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but the drive was to bad to repair itself.
Luckily as you said you had backups already and that makes the reinstallation a lot less painful. Please let us know how the new hard drive works out and if everything then runs correctly. We like to know the final resolution as it may help someone in the future with the same issue. :)

Justinr123

Justinr123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey guys figured I'd give one last update incase it can help someone.So After I got the new hard drive and installed it some of the errors went away.However the computer was still barely running.So I decided to take it in to have it looked at by a local guy who I buy my pc from and he ran a bunch of tests and could not find the problem.One of the pieces on the motherboard was burnt out as the top of one of the (cylinder pieces) was puffed out.It was a mess it was crashing uncontrollably and nothing was working right but it started becoming something different all the time its like the machine just collapsed.I had to get a new PC unfortunately because eventually everything but my video card and new hard drive just went.Like I have seen computers go before but this was kind of not normal.The main error was STOP:0x0000004 which if you look it up online it seems there is never a straight answer for it but it could be related to the motherboard.

Again thanks for the help from everyone here I really appreciated it.

Justin

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You had a blown capacitor from the sounds of it and most likely the cause of all the errors. I am glad to hear you finally got it resolved and hopefully everything is working fine now.