Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

permitted wifi sharing with a neighbour

• Please log in to reply

colourofright

colourofright

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wonder if anyone might help me here. I live rurally, one of 2 cottages, with no other neighbour's around apart from the couple next door. They are a splendid couple,good close friends.
Our problem is this:- I have a BTHomeHub2, running just one pc (my own). I would like to share my connection with my neighbours, in fact, i did until recently until they reformatted their machine. I run Vista, they XP pro....systems are a Lenovo thinkcentre and Acer repectively. I have the Acer.
Now it seems our permitted shared connecting is not happening anymore (they use a Belkin net-adapter i might add) Try as i might, i cannot seem to get their machine to see my hub, which it was able to do before the re-formatting took place. Their machine is now asking for network proxy settings? whatever these are, i have absolutely no idea, and, having tried various things am sadly NOT being very successful in granting them this permitted access.
Any help/ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have used this forum before and am a regular visitor, having being helped by Essexboy in the past.
I would like to reiterate, that i DO permit this neighbour, i want them to share with me the Hub connection, there is no problem there. I would appreciate some input:- from the beginnings stages to connection itself but i don't know where we are going wrong, we just are!!
Thanks everyone and all take care please.X

Advertisements

RobertThompson

RobertThompson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If your adapter is the usb type then reconnect and re install the driver that came with it and start again. If all else fails then the belkin desktop card is easy to install and is a better option for a good price, I have both on the computers in my house and find the card has a better connection to my wireless network.

You may also want to try here for a more detailed solution http://www.techyv.co...mputer-internet