Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What can be eliminated from Task Manager?

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Below is a screenshot of my Task Manager. I wanted to know what, if anything, can be discontinued or is not necessary. Also, how to go about deleting these from the TM so they will not appear there again. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• task manager.JPG

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
jqs.exe - Java Quick Starter (makes Java apps start quicker). Go into Control Panel, Java, Advanced, Miscellaneous, untick Java Quick Starter (You will need to redo this on every Java update)
spoolsv.exe if you don't use a printer. Admin tools, services, print spooler
ctfmon.exe - Open notepad and paste the following into it. Save it with a .reg extension. Double click it to merge it into the registry. You will be prompted. Click yes. Reboot or kill ctfmon.exe.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; disable ctfmon

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IMM]
"LoadIMM"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF]
"Disable Thread Input Manager"=dword:00000001

Based on a quick Google search, devldr32.exe seems to be a Creative sound card process. Supposedly for your rear speakers. If you don't have rear speakers I would disable it with Autoruns.

I disable alg.exe with no ill effects in services(Application Layer Gateway) but not sure if this is right for you.

Edited by skifxr, 14 October 2011 - 08:56 AM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
Thanks for the quick response!