Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to a bunch of websites

• Please log in to reply

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Right i have had this problem for a few weeks now and it is really confusing me, i am an IT student and have a few qualifications in the IT world so i do know my way around a computer system, first of all here are a list of the websites i cannot access, by access i mean when i enter the URL and click enter it just stops at "Waiting for "name of website"" and just times out after then, this is on EVERY computer in the house, now i have a three computers and three laptops and all have this problem with these websites.

The websites are:

Tumblr.com (to be precise any tumblr blog what so ever, i can access the main tumblr log in and log in to my account but if i attempt to go on anyones tumblr blog it wont load)
Filesonic.com
orion.com
megaupload.com
fileserve.com
rapidshare.com
wupload.com
hotfile.com

I use a bunch of these upload/download websites to store my backups of documents etc so i can use them on the move, but i really do need them personally speaking.

Here are the steps ive taken to try to resolve the problem;

Contacted my ISP (AOL) they responded with that the websites are online and my internet connection has not had any blocks or bans on for any site what so ever

Tested the websites on different web browsers from Google Chrome, IE8 and Mozilla Firefox
I have used the "ipconfig /release" "ipconfig /flushdns" "ipcofnig /renew" technique
I have turned my router and wifi off numerous times and still nothing
I have performed virus scans and malware scans to check if it was a virus etc and no results were found
I have booted all the computers in safe mode with networking and still they wont load

This problem is really confusing me, if anyone could help me i would be really greatful

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
It's unlikely a windows problem if every computer is experiencing the same issue. Can you connect directly to the modem on 1 of the computers and see if that computer will connect. This could help determine if a router issue exists.

zep516

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Do you mean connect by using my web browser and typing in the IP address of the router? I have tried using pro us and they connect to the websites fine, thought I should mention that

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
No. I mean making a direct Ethernet cable connection using a cable from the modem and connecting it to the back of the computer without using a router at all. Then try to connect to those sites.

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well now I feel silly , just connected my pc directly to phone line (bt high performance) and now cannot connect to the dns

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Mike,

It really sounds like an Internet provider service (AOL) issue to me. We could try another thing,

Copy and paste all the text in the code box below into Notepad.

@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0

Save as flush.bat to your desktop.
Double-click flush.bat file to run it. Your computer will reboot.

Note: For Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click flush.bat and select "Run as Administrator".

See if that helps.

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sadly it has not solved the problem, it just says "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server" this is a very strange problem, when I spoke to my ISP they said the site was accessible for them through AOL ,

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Make sure your Anti-virus program, firewall or any add-on(s) aren't preventing the connection.

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've run my computers in safe mode, so no antivirus or firewalls would be active , and my ISP continues to say the websites work on their end and for other users

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Try the sites in Internet Explorer, if you have not already.

Another thing Firefox has it's own safe mode, it runs it with add ons disabled. Click "Help" in the browser, then choose Start with no add / ons

Edited by zep516, 14 October 2011 - 11:16 AM.

Advertisements

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Tried them in Chrome , Internet explorer and firefox , I might trying using opendns see what happens

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree since it is every computer in the house this is not a OS issue but a hardware issue. Most likely a router or modem.

MikeCorruption

MikeCorruption

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Just changed my dns to the ones on OpenDNS and the website loaded and then when I attempt to load it a second time it doesn't , honestly I'm baffled by this problem

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Just changed my dns to the ones on OpenDNS and the website loaded and then when I attempt to load it a second time it doesn't

Did you click on Save Settings at the bottom on the router page?

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Mike, let's see if event viewer might shed some light ...

download VEW by Vino Rosso http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your desktop

Double click it to start it Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 you will need to right click the file and select Run as administrator and click Continue or Allow at the User Account Control Prompt.

Click the check boxes next to Application and System located under Select log to query on the upper left

Under Select type to list on the right click the boxes next to Error and Warning Note: If running Windows Vista or Windows 7 also click the box next to Critical (not XP).

Under Number or date of events select Number of events and type 20 in the box next to 1 to 20 and click Run

Once it finishes it will display a log file in notepad

Please copy and paste its entire contents into your next reply