Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS 710 video problem or...?

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Last night I fired up FSX on my old XPS 710 desktop because I was tired of getting BSOD and GSOD on my G73 because my G940 and/or Trackir 5 apparently doesn't like Win 7. I thought I would see if they work better in XP. Well, a few seconds after my flight loaded, the whole thing started freakin out. Weird graphic anomalies and colors and after about 15-20 seconds it froze up completely (except for the audio). I had to do a hard shut down and then when I tried to restart, I got no video at all. The tower powered up but never did anything else. So I left it off for about five minutes and tried it again (with the G940 and Trackir unplugged). Well it appeared to load XP okay but then as soon as I started moving the mouse around I instantly got weird graphics and froze up solid. I have had this machine for about five years and it has never really gave me any problems. Since I got the G73, I actualy rarely use the thing but on occasion I will fire it up to do some music editing or something because it has the software for that. Never had an issue until now.
I have been a technician of one sort or another for over 30 years. Any time I have seen something like this (but not on a PC) it has been a video issue. So what does anyone think? This XPS 710 has a duo-core 2.13 ghz CPU, 2 GB RAM, and a GTS 8600 nVidia graphics card.
I have been planning a major upgrade/replacement of my desktop anyway but I don't have the $$$ right now.

Edited by brettt777, 19 October 2011 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi brettt777
Try removing the video card, blowing out the slot and reseating the card securely, do the same with the Ram sticks, the opportunity to clean out any/all heat trapping dust should also be taken and check that all connections are secure.
Update your drivers http://www.nvidia.co...force_8600.html also do you have FSX Sp2 http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=8986

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Well, I tried all that. I actualy took the Radeon X300 out of my daughters old desk top and installed it in place of the 8600 and it worked fine so it looks like the thing just wore out. It is five years old and before I got my G73 I used it all the time. However, the X300 does not take any kind of external power (direct from the P/S I mean) and the 8600 does. If there were a problem with power going to the VGA card, I would think I would see it elsewhere in the thing...?
So now I am looking on E-bay for a replacement. I thought I would maybe upgrade to a 9800 GTX or something like that. I don't want to spend too much on this machine as I do plan on doing a serious upgrade/replacement when $$$ allows, but I do need it now.
I am wondering though, I see some of the 8XXX and 9XXX GT/GTS/GTX cards are PCI-E 2.0x16 instead of PCI-E x16. Will a PCI-E 2.0x16 work in a PCI-E x16 slot? I was hoping it would work but maybe not take advantage of the 2.0 or something...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
$19.99 after mail in rebate, free shipping + it doesn`t need a 6 pin pci-e power supply from the PSU; http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814162066

I am wondering though, I see some of the 8XXX and 9XXX GT/GTS/GTX cards are PCI-E 2.0x16 instead of PCI-E x16. Will a PCI-E 2.0x16 work in a PCI-E x16 slot? I was hoping it would work but maybe not take advantage of the 2.0 or something...

Your thinking is correct, the card will not work to its maximum ability you will not however notice the difference with your intended use.

NB: There are I believe some cards that are not backwards compatible but do not know of any specifically.