Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starts to start, then stops

• Please log in to reply

PaulFram

PaulFram

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please help! I have a Sony VGCRB42G running Windows XP Media Center Version, and when I try to power up, the computer starts to start, gets through the initial Windows screen, and gets to the screen that shows the users, but then it fades to black. The computer still thinks that it is on (I can hear it thinking), but it is non-responsive. To turn it off, I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds. I am lost, and I do not know what to do. Please help!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi PaulFram and :)
Possible causes include a bad PSU or video chip and overheating due to dust build up inside the case, when was the last time the case was cleaned out and the cooling fans checked?
See my canned text on how to clean out the inside of the computer case safely for both yourself and the computer;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

NB: If you use canned compressed air do not upend the can as fluid may be emitted.