Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amazon in China

• Please log in to reply

chinapeach

chinapeach

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I work in China and only recently have been unable to connect to Amazon.com. I tried to contact them, but I can't connect. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, they no longer allow us to use Kindle for PC in China, even though I have a U.S. credit card, billing address, and long history of buying from Amazon. Are they just trying to cut off customers in China completely?

Or could this be something wrong with my computer. Internet Explorer says my connectivity is fine, but it can't show the website (amazon.com).

Recently I tried to sign up for a VPN, but cancelled since the Kindle for PC still wouldn't work even with Strong VPN.

Chinapeach

Edited by chinapeach, 15 October 2011 - 09:25 AM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I work in China and only recently have been unable to connect to Amazon.com.

China blocks many sites and you are lucky that you get Google and many other sites now. For years you could not.

This is usually not a personal problem, so unless you can connect via a 3rd party there are quite a few sites still blocked.
>> Are they just trying to cut off customers in China completely? <<
You will find that China is the one trying to cut you off, not Amazon.

Regards -

chinapeach

chinapeach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying noknojon. But Amazon has a policy that they won't allow the Kindle for PC to be used in
China and they won't allow any music, video or movie downloads to China. This is even though I have a U.S. credit card, U.S. billing address, and a long history of buying from them.

It's just that the difficulty of getting on their website is a new thing. I asked if Amazon was cutting us off cause they won't allow a lot of things from their site, and that's not China doing it.

China doesn't allow Facebook or Youtube. Most people have a vpn to get around this, but even with a vpn, you can't download a Kindle for PC.

Chinapeach

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -

If it helps, I have sent an email from Australia to Amazon.com asking about ordering from China with My USA account and My USA credit cards.
I used my "spare email" that only gets used for these type of events.
A fictious attempt at prompting some type of reply from Amazon on their current China policy.

Regards -

chinapeach

chinapeach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. Please let me know what they say.

I have sent emails to protest their policy of not allowing music downloads, particularly since they allowed it in the past and only recently changed. I know someone in Europe who also can no longer get music downloads. Nothing outside the U.S. anymore.

But since the block on the website is a very recent thing, I was hoping there was somewhere I could look to see if it was blocked on my own computer. I recently downloaded a vpn that charged money. When I discovered I could still not get amazon's kindle for pc, I cancelled the vpn and uninstalled it. I think the problem got worse after this but I'm not sure. Maybe there was something in the download that put a block.

Chinapeach

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -

This is the reply I have just been sent from Amazon. Hope it makes sense to you - -
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can use your Amazon.com account (from USA), if you will be placing orders in Amazon.com website only. If you will be in China, the orders that you placed under Amazon.com will be shipped to you internationally.

However, your Amazon.com (US account) cannot be used in logging in at Amazon.cn. (Amazon.china)

Otherwise, you can create a new account under Amazon.cn if you want to place orders under that site.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards -