Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No operating system on my computer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
i send my computer to get fix at best buy and when they called me to pick up my laptop it said that i have to re install my operating sys. so i ask fro them to do it for me and they told me that i need a recovery disk which will be 30 dollars and i said no. so i try to call hp and it cost less but it will take long for me to received it. now i download a recovery disk from a website for windows 7 and i been trying to re image my computer but is asking me to load a driver where can i find the file and how do i do it please help me i need my laptop for a school project

Edited by Wendy Calderon, 15 October 2011 - 11:11 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i download a recovery disk from a website for windows 7

From what site?

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok i have a recovery disk and try to format drive c so i can install a new win 7 but is asking me to load a driver because non that i have is compatible how do i load a media driver

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

From what site?

Please answer the above question asked by Digerati!

ok i have a recovery disk and try to format drive c so i can install a new win 7 but is asking me to load a driver because non that i have is compatible how do i load a media driver

Hi Wendy Calderon
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP? If it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will help others to better assist you as we will know where to look for the drivers.

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So sorry im so worry about fixing the computer that i forgot the important part lol i have an hp pavillion dm4 1165dx notebook entertainment system

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

From what site?

Please answer the above question asked by Digerati!

Hi Wendy Calderon
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP? If it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will help others to better assist you as we will know where to look for the drivers.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
what did best buy do

did they replace your hard drive

is the disk for your notebook a full HP recovery disk (note not a repair disk)

To launch the HP Recovery Manager, do any of the following:

WARNING:Because there are several recovery options available, some of which automatically delete files and programs, HP recommends that before you select any recovery option you should back up all important files. Once the recovery process begins deleting files there is no way to pause or stop the action.

1 Click Start , type recovery in the search field, and select HP Recovery Manager to run recovery from the D drive.

2 Turn on power and press F11 key to run recovery without booting onto Windows (on some models esc key and then F11 key ).

3 Insert user-created Recovery disc in disc drive and turn on power to boot from the DVD disc.

4 Insert replacement Recovery disc purchased from HP, and turn on power to boot from the DVD disc.

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
so regardless i have to purchased a recovery from hp no matter what? im really struguling with money so thats why i been trying to see if i can find a torrent download i see what i can do but thank you

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

so thats why i been trying to see if i can find a torrent download

Understand, what you are in effect telling us is that you are trying to find a copy of Windows you can steal! And folks around here don't condone that activity and will not conspire to help you become a software thief.

I understand and appreciate your financial situation, but stealing is not the solution. I recommend you download one of the many free, and very capable Linux alternatives.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
edited

Edited by Digerati, 18 October 2011 - 08:27 AM.
No longer applicable

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Wendy Calderon,

I will give you one warning and one chance to stay and receive help. First off, our Terms of Use, which you agreed to when you joined our site, clearly state the following:

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

Downloading a copy of Windows from a torrent site is an illegal method of obtaining this software; therefore, we cannot and will not help you with it. I understand that financially it may be difficult to pay for a legal version, but please understand that we will not violate our rules and help you. If you would like our help in obtaining and installing this software legally, we will be happy to do so. However, I expect you to be respectful to my staff members and others who are trying to help you. They are not judging you, they're simply advising you that they can't help you without a legal version of software.

Torrents and illegal software are a major source of malware. By trying to use the version you've downloaded, you're risking infecting your PC, and also risking your personal information due to any malware that may be installed. You might actually end up in worse shape than you are now. I strongly recommend you follow the advice given here, and try to reinstall your software legally. If you continue your attitude and bad language, however, we won't offer any further help in this issue. Our help is free, and we are volunteers that are simply trying to help such as yourself.

Wendy Calderon

Wendy Calderon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No need for it i gave it away already so ur warnings was useless

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Fine, this topic is closed since you clearly don't need or want our help.