Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection failures only on laptops

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I work with older donated equipment and prefer to bring it home to add software, etc and generally get it in running condition. The problem seems to be that only laptops are incapable of obtaining an IP address automatically. Right now I have a Dell Inspiron 1200 next to my personal computer which is connected correctly. The laptop however reads limited or not connectivity or cable unplugged! I had an identical problem with an Inspiron 6000 but when I took it up to the school it worked fine. Earlier this evening when I couldn't connect, I found a driver, not from Dell, and it worked just fine. After being turned off awhile, I now get the same error message with that driver also. Then I installed a PCMCIA cardbus adapter, it worked only momentarily. Any clues to what are causing this problem would be of great help as working at home is a lot easier and convenient. My personal computer is set obtain an IP automatically.

Advertisements