Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer hangs on motherboard screen *almost* every time

• Please log in to reply

Mistle

Mistle

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Win 7 64bit Ultimate
2x 4GB DDR2 RAM
HD Radeon 5770
Intel Q9550
ASUS P5QPL-AM Motherboard
500W Silverstone PSU 80+
250GB WD internal HDD (OS installed on this one)
1TB Seagate internal HDD
1TB WD external

Ok, so.. A week or so ago, I replaced my PSU with the one listed (as my old one died). I also installed a second internal HDD (the 1TB Seagate). I haven't touched my 250GB HDD which the OS is installed on.
But for some reason, my computer now hangs on the motherboard screen during startup. It will sit on in indefinitely, and I cannot enter the BIOS or anything. This happens probably 9/10 times. What is weird though is that if I keep resetting it, it will eventually boot/let me enter the BIOS.
Does anybody know why this may be happening and how I can fix it?

It might be worth mentioning:
- When my comp does boot, the initial loading of Windows seems slower than it used to be...
- The boot order of my drives is the OS HDD -> new 1TB HDD -> external HDD
- This still occurs when I unplug the new 1TB HDD

All help is appreciated, thank you :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Mistle
Your present PSU is within tolerance by 50W which does not give you much headroom; http://www2.corsair....lse&vc_oc=False
The fact that your previous PSU died is also cause for concern as there may be an underlying issue going on, what was the brand and output of the previous PSU?
If you have the W7 disk run SFC http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mistle

Mistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My previous PSU was 450W. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of it- however I do know that when I Googled it I found no results. Also, it was very old. I don't actually know if it died- as I don't know the symptoms of a dead PSU. My computer would boot all the way to Windows, however my core temps were extremely high, and then it'd shut down. I'd usually only get about 30 seconds before it shut down. I got a new CPU cooler and replaced the thermal paste, which brought my temps down to 30-40 when idle. However- I also replaced the PSU at this time so I don't know for sure what was the cause of the problem.

Anyway, my old 450W PSU handled my current setup (minus 1TB internal) without a single problem for over a year. So I thought I'd be pretty safe with getting a 500W...
I'll run SFC now. Thanks for the help so far! :)

EDIT: I ran SFC a few times and it could only make it to 52%. It says there are no violations however.

Edited by Mistle, 16 October 2011 - 04:52 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update, a dead PSU is exactly that no signs of life, a bad PSU can manifest itself in many different and harmful ways with unstable voltages such as spikes and power drops being common ones, your previous solution to the issue was a sensible approach.

NB: That only means that there were no violations on 52% of the OS, try;

1.Open the "Computer" window
2.Right-click on the drive in question
3.Select the "Tools" tab
4.In the Error-checking area, click <Check Now>.

Mistle

Mistle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, important update...

I've been having this problem for awhile now and trying different things to fix it with no luck. Yet when I decide to make a topic, only then do I fix the issue, it seems... Funny how the world works sometimes, haha.
I noticed that when on the motherboard screen, the times that it would proceed to boot Windows was when my mouse would light up. This lead me to thinking that perhaps a USB device could be preventing my system from booting. So I took out all my USB devices and tried booting... it worked. And it proceeded to work constantly every time i restarted. So I re-plugged everything in one at a time to try and find the source of the problem. However- I ended up with everything plugged in and my computer booting perfectly every time.

I really have no idea why this is, but it seemed to work :) So if anybody out there is having this problem too, try this!
I'm thinking perhaps a device was not cooperating with a certain port, so when I rearranged them it fixed the problem?

Regardless, all seems to be well now. I still appreciate your help and extremely quick responses :yes: Hopefully my PSU can support my system, even if you recommend a slightly more powerful one. Seems to be fine so far, even when putting decent stress on the system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you for the update and for posting what appears to have resolved the issue.
If the issue reoccurs check the status of the USB ports in the Device Manager.
Just a FYI the PSU calculation was done allowing for the 3 HDDs to be connected but do keep it in mind if you intend to upgrade further :)