Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad sectors

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, for the first time,at least that I have known about, I have a bad sector on a drive. As I keep a clone of my OS drive I have just swapped the drives.

I have formatted the drive with the bad sector and would like to know if I could have problems if I use the drive for backing up image files or even an emergency clone?

In other words would there be a failed attempt to write files to the bad sector or not? I wouldn't want to loose anything because of it and if an OS is written to it I presume it would mean an unsolvable problem. Or would the bad sector be ignored? Thanks

Steve

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Ste

Or would the bad sector be ignored

Yes the data will be written elsewhere, but where one bad sector occurs expect more to follow, treat this like traffic lights, HDD ok = green for go, HDD failing = amber for a warning and HDD failed = red for stop or crash.
http://www.scan.co.u...sata-ii-1tb-3tb plenty to choose from and not too far away.

NB; If your HDD has the SMART facility always have it enabled http://www.smarthdd.com/en/

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Cheers Phill just what I needed to know. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome Steve, the positive is that at least you can back up the data now to prevent its loss :)