Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working

• Please log in to reply

wace9178

wace9178

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Good day everyone. I trying to get an older computer back to working order. The problem i'm having is that the USB ports don't seem to be working and there are no ps/2 ports on this computer. the keyboard and the mouse only work when i boot in safe mode. Also the cd rom is not recognized by windows and therefor also is not working.

I thought that a fresh install of windows might cure some of this but with the usb and cd rom not working, i'm not sure how to go about this.

Would you be able to recommend a starting point for me to cure these problems?

Acer Aspire 6120
Pentium 2 w/ 64mb ram
V66M motherboard.

Thanks

Advertisements

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Good morning. Can anyone help me with this computer or should i just trash it? I'm in the process of cleaning out my garage and thought it might be a good junker for my 6 yr old to play around with, but if you guys think i'm wasting my time i'll put it out with the rest of the trash.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
well there are many options left- you can try to repair it-

if its an atx case you can just buy new parts and put in it

you could keep it for somethings but it would be a slow computer that would be very difficult and not felxable in the things it does

install small games on it like learning games and give it to your six year old- but make sure he has alot of patience lol

you can test your ram and if its good put it in another computer and salvage any other parts

wace9178

wace9178

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I don't know if there is a whole lot i can salvage but i will try.

Thanks.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
try using a memtest to see if your memory is good- if it is then take the memory and put it in your current comptuer if you please <_<

Memtest86

Memtest86 is a stand alone program that cannot be executed under windows and must
be loaded from a floppy disk.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.