Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Hangs on "My Computer" Icon open

• Please log in to reply

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The same exact disk used to install Windows XP at the time I installed it as a matter of fact.. Windows XP Professional edition multi use CD.

Everything Opens fine on the computer, Other cd's etc.. Also the Windows XP cd opens with the installer.. But System file checker refuses to use it sadly.. :)

what I found interesting is that the same cd was used on my brothers computer. When I pop the cd in, and run "sfc /scannow" it works fine on his machine!?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this first and see if it works.

Open up Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer:
Then choose the View tab:
Uncheck the box for “Automatically search for network folders and printers”, and close the dialog.

The changes should be immediate, and your problem should be gone.

If the above does not work then continue to the below.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The Repair is done from the disk.. System booted cleanly after 1 manual restart. Should I check for Windows updates?

Any old drivers including video, and audio will have to be re-installed.. Including any extra programs that had drivers correct?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it resolve the hanging when clicking on My Computer?
Yes in most instances updates have to be done.

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
For you, luck is on your side this time! My Computer opens and detects all drives/folders within seconds (No delay, and no hang), Now on right click > "Send to" still hangs just a little bit but is at least 20x faster than before.. Opening drop down menus also loads with no issue.. Only thing that is dragging is my mouse (Only because I have to re-install Graphics card drivers..

I will do all Microsoft updates + Any extra the computer needs.. Is there anything else you would like to check / have me do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

For you, luck is on your side this time!

:)

:yes:

Only thing that is dragging is my mouse (Only because I have to re-install Graphics card drivers.

:) I agree
Also make sure you have SP3 as that may have changed but it should be part of the updates if it is needed.

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Whats with that face? We all know that people always get defeated once or twice (or more) by computers.. and Mine was playing hardball by sending us off to find other ways of doing things ^-^

I am currently on my Second computer, Letting the fixed one Grab all needed Updates, and push them into the system.. Once that is done I will update/install graphics + other things.. In case of something going wrong (say while installing graphics) Shall I make a new topic in Win XP area?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope if it has to do with the steps to resolve this issue we will continue with it here.
Hopefully the graphics driver update will go OK and everything will work great then.

Whats with that face? We all know that people always get defeated once or twice (or more) by computers.. and Mine was playing hardball by sending us off to find other ways of doing things ^-^

Yep I have been defeated a couple of times over the past 15 years but it wasn't from the lack of trying I assure you. Sometimes no matter what is done the only way to resolve the issue is a format and fresh install. I try my best to stay away from that unless I have exhausted all avenues of resolution. I am glad the repair corrected the issue and I'm sure the issue was something in the registry or services that got doinked somehow.

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Okay Sounds good, Once the Computer is up-to-date with Microsoft I will update everything else and if anything goes wrong I will post back, If nothing goes wrong.. well I will still post back to let you know! ^-^

Amen to that.. I have had my fair share (Only being 16 I can't begin to compare of course) of problems in the past.. At least your not ashamed to admit it (Neither am I; I promise)..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I was taught by people as young as you are years ago and I'm not ashamed to say it. :)

Advertisements

Raiever

Raiever

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hey!

As of this time my computer is Updated, Cleaned, Defragged, and Anything I didn't need was uninstalled..

If any more Errors decide to show up I will create a new post.. Because like mentioned above, as of this time I am running smoother than ice and Loving it!

I appreciate the help very much! Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations Raiever. :yes: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible