Try this first and see if it works.
Open up Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer:
Then choose the View tab:
Uncheck the box for “Automatically search for network folders and printers”, and close the dialog.
The changes should be immediate, and your problem should be gone.
If the above does not work then continue to the below. Repair Installation Instructions
· Insert your Windows XP CD
in your CD-ROM
and then Restart
· At the first post screen start tapping the Del
key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options
or Boot Sequence
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom
is first and the HD
· Press F10 to Save and Exit
and then press Enter
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD"
message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup
screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER
· At this point an option to press R
to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.
· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement
screen, press F8
to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP
is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R
key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.
You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.