Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

removed antiwpa.dll and now can't activate XP

• Please log in to reply

Twinbird

Twinbird

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I did a virus scan with avast and I moved antiwpa.dll to the virus chest. Now when I boot up XP Home it gets to the welcome screen and then tells me I need to activate windows. I click "yes" to active and I try to go through the process but it can't access the internet. The ethernet cable I use works fine on every other computer, so that's not the problem. I also can't restore the .dll file from the avast chest because when I'm viewing the log I can't select any of the entires but I don't know why I can't select them... Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
http://www.google.co...h?q=antiwpa.dll :)

Twinbird

Twinbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks for the reply, but I already googled "antiwpa.dll" and didn't really find anything that could help me fix my problem, I found this: "The program detects antiwpa as Trojan.I.Stole.Windows. Actually, it's a patch to validate Windows." So I assume that the antiwpa.dll that I moved to the chest was used to validate windows and that's why I'm getting the window asking me to activate windows. I'm doing a repair install right now to see if that fixes anything. <nvm, repair wasn't an option :)

Edited by Twinbird, 16 October 2011 - 01:38 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Buy a copy of Windows, do a fresh install and stop using pirated software.

Twinbird

Twinbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, I found another XP CD and the repair option is available on it so I'm doing that now. It's not my PC, just a friends. If the repair option doesn't work though, then I'll just do a fresh install.

Edit: Repair install didn't help. I'm just going to install a new copy of XP.

Edited by Twinbird, 16 October 2011 - 06:19 PM.