Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No access after Windows 7 update

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Ok,

I was under the impression you were able to do a System Restore from safe mode, and then run in normal mode. Can you run your Anti Virus program in Safemode?

Edited by zep516, 21 October 2011 - 07:01 AM.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Read the last reply on this page http://answers.micro...36-d807e21e0b93

Edit: Also see this http://www.winhelpon...ot-be-accessed/

missy1998

missy1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok I finally got it to run in normal mode this is the list

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuschd2.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
C:\Users\Missy\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files
C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil11c_ActiveX.exe\Content.IE5\7WNJ07X3\ListProcesses.exe

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi,

Thanks for that list unfortunately nothing showing in that list to cause an issue. It's just a small sample though, I was hoping to see 2 AntiVirus programs running or something like that...

How did you get to normal Mode? Tell me what you did to get there? Keep it in normal mode if you can. Don't turn it off. Do you still think this is a Windows up-date issue? The reason I ask is because when a Windows up date causes an issue like this it's usually seen across a few more computers or other users "complaining" about it too and I don't see that yet. Is that when all this started to occur? We can try to uninstall the last few up dates that were installed. Then in the Start> control panel> Windows Update> select "Do not install Windows up-date automatically" You do have that option there. That way they download and you choose to install what you need.

Edited by zep516, 21 October 2011 - 03:19 PM.

missy1998

missy1998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, I do beleive it is still a windows issue. I just stopped all automatic updates. I was able to verify when the problem started. It was when windows update KB915597 was updated. Does this help?

Thanks
Missy

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
KB915597 That's a Windows Defender definition update. Windows defender helps to prevent or monitor spyware on your computer, or in this case prevents booting correctly :)

I just stopped all automatic updates.

Click on Start> Control Panel> then under Programs click Uninstall a program. Click View Installed Updates and scroll through the list of updates until you locate KB915597 and double click on it. You will get a popup asking you if you wish to uninstall the update, click yes. If you have UAC turned on you will be prompted for either a password or to click continue, please do so. The update will then be removed.

* Once the update has been removed reboot your computer. Lets see what that does and if the computer boots normally. I notice a few users have had issues with up date KB915597 but not quite like yours of course! :yes:

Note I notice that you use Avast Anti Virus. What Anti Virus was on the machine prior to Avast? Norton, McAfee or anything like that. I'm asking because if these Anti Virus programs are not thoroughly uninstalled using special uninstallers they can and will cause conflicts.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi missy1998,

Have you made any progress? Are you still with us?